Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2011 08:00

Device Manager Showing Exclamation Points

My new XPS 15 is running great and I love it.  First thing I did after receiving it is wipe the disk clean and did a clean install of  Windows 7 Pro.  Wanted to get rid of all the bloat and junk that comes preloaded. 

That said, after installing the OS I installed the drivers, at least the drivers I knew I needed.  Still though, I have yellow exclamation points next to Ethernet Controller and PCI  Simple Communications Controller.
The laptop is running great.  I'm connected on a home network with two desktops and they are all connected.  The laptop sees the printer and works fine.  The connection with the router is strong and fast.  All three USB ports on it are functioning.
So what could be the issue?  I'm leaning towards the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and leave it be as is.
Any suggestions or ideas?  Thank you.

25 Posts

January 11th, 2011 10:00

The link isn't working, at least for me.

25 Posts

January 11th, 2011 12:00

Link is working now, but it has no relevance to what I asked.  Plus, the information is over four years old and Dell has issued subsequent documents on driver installation since then.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

if you say so

You need to install the chipset drivers for XPS.

drivers are AMT HECI and AMT SOL/LMS. enter your service tag at support.dell.com and download those drivers

do let me know if it works

25 Posts

January 11th, 2011 14:00

I already installed the chipset for my laptop.  For the XPS 15 that would be the Intel HM57 Express.  The two you mentioned above aren't available for this model.

50 Posts

January 11th, 2011 18:00

Under the Network section for your downloads....install the Realtek driver...that's for your ethernet card....

I too did a clean wipe when I got my XPS!

No Events found!