Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

L

3 Posts

November 15th, 2007 23:00

Desktop Icons and Taskbar missing

When I turned on my computer today my desktop icons and taskbar were missing. All I can see is my wallpaper. How do I fix this?

216 Posts

November 16th, 2007 07:00

Hi,
Maybe try booting into safe mode, it may be a virus or something really simple. To do this follow these instructions:

2. Click Start and then click Shut Down.

3. In the drop-down list of the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.

4. As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.  
On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when the boot menu \appears.

5. Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.

6. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

Please post back.

Cheers,

Nick

12 Posts

November 16th, 2007 09:00

Maybe... try this: Right click on desktop / Arrange Icons By / Show Desktop Icons And your taskbar could be hidden?? Otherwise, try to see what's going on in Safe-Mode. Restart your system and after memory clock counts, hit F8 to get the boot-up options. Make sure you log-in as administrator.

3 Posts

November 16th, 2007 14:00

I've tried starting my computer in safe mode and that didn't work. I've also ran multiple virus scans, and they all come up clean. The only way I can get to the programs I want is when I go through Alt Ctrl Delete, and open a program through there. This is becoming quite the inconvenience with finals coming up.

940 Posts

November 16th, 2007 15:00

When you do the Ctrl Alt Del select Task Manager the start a new proccess and type in Explorer.exe and see if that gives everything back.

4K Posts

November 16th, 2007 20:00

It is possible that you have a Resolution setting  on your display that is higher than it can display correctly. Right click a clear spot on  your desktop, select Properties, then Settings and reduce the Resolution slider to 1024x768, then click Okay and then Yes on the next window.

216 Posts

November 16th, 2007 22:00

Hi,
In safe mode it automnaticly goes to 800 x 600. so it cant be the resolution. So i have never come accross this before. But from some research i found this http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/132877.html its a virus called F-Nimda.
Hope this helps,
Nick

3 Posts

November 19th, 2007 19:00

I tried typing in Explorer.exe and nothing happened. I've also tried safe mode multiple times and I'm still having the same problem.

216 Posts

November 19th, 2007 22:00

The either format or contact Dell tech support thats what they are there for.
Nick

216 Posts

November 19th, 2007 22:00

Hi again,
I just thought of another idea, have you tried system repair when booted off the XP cd.
Cheers
No Events found!