Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

26 Posts

January 15th, 2006 13:00

Dell C840 - Multiple problems with NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go

Now, I know there are quite a lot of posts with these sort of problems, but none of them came to a solution and just suddenly ended...so after about two full years of having this problem, I've decided to end it right here and right now.

I am currently using the NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go Chip (Hardware) as well as the "latest" (I doubt it) driver (software) for it. I continue to look for newer updates for this periodicly with no luck at all. One day, however, it dawned on me that maybe, as dumb as it sounds, that the GeForce4 440 Go driver wasn't the best to use afterall. Even though Dell and Windows were saying it was, I searched and searched for some more drivers to test, and came up with over 25.

Since then, I have tried to narrow down the 25, some including drivers for versions Dell and Windows said wouldn't run correctly. I continue to have no problems here, but instead other problems are created. I'm currently playing four main games; Star Wars Battlefront 2, Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty 2, and Age Of Empires II (yes, a lot of two's). A figure this is a good mix because they were created at various different times, enough to make a difference anyway.

What I have been doing is taking these 25 and one by one testing them on all four games. The result is VERY annoying. Some drivers work for some games and some don't. What's very odd is that many of the drivers work for the newer games (Call of Duty 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2, etc...) and don't work for Age Of Empires 2.

In conclusion, what I am asking is if anyone has already solved this problem and found the correct, newest driver for NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go chipsets. I certainly hope so, or at least it can be solved here, because I am about to explode. I know all all computers this one can handle it, for it has been through a lot. Even if it is the only solution, I'm sorry but I don't want to hear "buy a new laptop" because at this time it cannot be done on this end.

Thanks for your time everyone. Please help me find a solution.
- Cpizzurro

1.5K Posts

January 15th, 2006 14:00

Welcome to the Forum,

Sure you know a lot more about this than I, but have you been HERE?

I understand that you must first modify your 'INF' to use them.

Best of luck in your quest:)

Message Edited by Art on 01-15-2006 11:38 AM

26 Posts

January 15th, 2006 18:00

Thanks, Art...still, I only pretend I know this stuff. :smileytongue:
Anyway, I'll check what you gave me out and see if anything matches.

Anyone else have any suggestions while I do this?...
...Even links to newer drivers or information would assist.

Well, thanks to Art, a solution has been found. I had to mess around with that link I was given and such to figure it out, but I have found the best possible driver for ANYONE running on GeForce4 440 Go chipsets.

*****The winner is:*****
Nvidia GeForce Ti 4800

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask here and I will do my best to answer them as best as I can from what I have.

Message Edited by cpizzurro on 01-15-2006 03:08 PM

1.5K Posts

January 15th, 2006 19:00

One last thought, there have been a few complaints on the latest (past six months)
releases of Video Drivers from Dell (D800 for sure, don't recall other systems)
but it might be worthwhile to try an older Video Driver for your system from Dell.

(if you are now on a recent version)

26 Posts

January 15th, 2006 19:00

Yes, I read those issues and everyone else should too if it is valid for them...

By the way, the Nvidia GeForce Ti 4800 Driver IS NOT default for GeForce4 440 Go chipsets because it was simply not invented yet. However, installing the driver and updating the the information manually (like I did) will allow it to work properly.

Thanks for bringing that up. :smileyhappy:

9 Posts

January 16th, 2006 21:00

Besides loading the beta version what else did you have to do? I have a latitude C840 1.6G with 1G ram. Sometimes when I have a few programs running the screen goes blue and I need to reboot. The problem is with the vidio driver (NVIDIA dated 2/10/2003 vsn 4.2.5.8.

26 Posts

January 17th, 2006 00:00

You have to install the driver manually instead of it going into its setup wizard...

To do this, simply go to the driver you wish to update for display and click the update button, etc...

- Choose for a list of drivers to pick from and click "Have Disk..."
- Choose the folder that was installed with the driver pack you downloaded.
- Find Geoforce TI 4800 on the list and select to install.
(...Don't be fooled by the SE version, as it is not as flexible...)

Restart, and that should do it.
Sorry that it is general...I'm in a bit of a rush.
Hope this helps you.

-Cpizzurro

2 Posts

February 1st, 2006 15:00

For clarification:

Use the nVidia driver for the Nvidia GeForce Ti 4800 in place of the original GeForce4 440 Go driver.

The most recently available driver for the Ti 4800 is:

ForceWare Release 80, Version: 81.98, dated December 21, 2005

...and manually choose the Ti 4800 from the list provided.

This will work with my 440 Go card in my C840?

Additional Question...
Dell recently installed a new HD (to replace a failed one...they also replaced the LCD display) and of course they left it to me in reinstall all the software & drivers. Even after using the provided video driver, I am having problems.

The native resolution of my screen is 1600x1200, at startup the WinXP graphic is very small now (shrinked to like 800x600, I do not remember this). After boot is complete, whenever I try to adjust the screen resolution to anything other than the native resolution...it simply shrinks the display. It does not stretch to fill the screen. I also do not remember this happening.

Will this new driver solve this problem?

Thanks.
DJ

2 Posts

February 1st, 2006 15:00

For clarification:

Use the nVidia driver for the Nvidia GeForce Ti 4800 in place of the original GeForce4 440 Go driver.

The most recently available driver for the Ti 4800 is:

ForceWare Release 80, Version: 81.98, dated December 21, 2005

...and manually choose the Ti 4800 from the list provided.

This will work with my 440 Go card in my C840?

Additional Question...
Dell recently installed a new HD (to replace a failed one...they also replaced the LCD display) and of course they left it to me in reinstall all the software & drivers. Even after using the provided video driver, I am having problems.

The native resolution of my screen is 1600x1200, at startup the WinXP graphic is very small now (shrinked to like 800x600, I do not remember this). After boot is complete, whenever I try to adjust the screen resolution to anything other than the native resolution...it simply shrinks the display. It does not stretch to fill the screen. I also do not remember this happening.

Will this new driver solve this problem?

Thanks.
DJ

5 Posts

October 11th, 2006 12:00

I did install it and it work for me but... I do not see any difference with the one I had specifically for 4  440 Go version 84.21. Same dashbord same resolution choices, all look the same to me

5 Posts

October 11th, 2006 13:00

Sorry I just realized I was using the same version 84.21 but for TI 4800 which is the same as GO 4 440 in this case . My procedure was wrong sorry . I have now the newer version 97.41. This works better because when I change the resolution the frame still fill the whole screen . Before it was not , it was shrinking it leaving black all around .
No Events found!