Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

September 27th, 2007 13:00

Dell AC Adapter reported as an unknown device. HELP!!

My battery is now no longer charging because my AC Adapter is being recognized by the system as an unknown AC Adapter even though it is a Dell AC Adapter and it's the same one I've been using since I first got this laptop over a year ago! Help!! How did this happen?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 27th, 2007 16:00

If it's under warranty, have Dell replace the mainboard. If it's out of warranty, see if having the power jack replaced (about $150 through a shop that can do soldering) will fix it.

12 Posts

September 27th, 2007 21:00

How do you know the problem is with the computer and not the AC Adapter? I figured I had just accidentally changed a setting in Control Panel or something.

You shouldn't have to pay $150 to have a power jack resodered.  It shouldn't cost more then $100 and most of that cost is in the labor to take apart the laptop to get to the motherboard.  If you are confident enough you can remove the motherboard yourself and bring it in.  Step by step instructions are availible on the dell site on support, manuals.

12 Posts

I can get AC power just fine; I just can't charge the battery.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 27th, 2007 22:00

Unplug the adapter from the system. If the LED on it is off, replace the adapter - it is faulty. If it is ON, the adapter is OK and the system board is the faulty part.

1 Message

September 29th, 2007 16:00

I too had the issue with "unrecognized AC adapter"...  Purchased universal 70W notebook adapter(which I will now be returning), since even tho claims it works with Inspirion, must be a falsehood.  If I get the gist from some of the messages ppl have posted with the same issue, Dell authenticates Dell parts and only charges the battery IF adapter is Dell's.  Sounds like no sense in having Dell send another "Dell adapter" (think warranty coverage still good) - sounds like customers hadsame problem developed shortly after.  New Motherboard?  A bit to 'technical' for me but I guess I gotta contact dell...  only had this Inspiron E1505 approx 18 months!!
No Events found!