Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2013 10:00

Computer Name in Devices and Printers

I am not sure this is the right forum for this, but I tried the Windows 8 forums to no avail. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that I had to restore to the factory Dell settings recently. After formatting the hard drive and re-installing windows 8 I noticed that the computer name in the devices and printers panel was Dell, Inc. instead of the computer name that I put in when re-installing windows. Is there a way to change the computer name in the devices and printers panel so that it matches the computer name in the system panel? I can change the computer name by going into the system panel but that doesn't change the name in the devices and printer panel.

15 Posts

November 25th, 2013 19:00

Just wanted to update this post. After upgrading to Windows 8.1 the issue resolved itself. Seems to have been a corrupt system file somewhere.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 17th, 2013 21:00

jpk717,

Start, control panel, system

Scroll down to...

Computer name, domain and workgroup settings

Click on Change settings

You then have to click on...

To rename this computer, click change

I think a restart is needed.

Now look at the printer and see if the name changed. Is the computer listed?

You may have to read...

Removing computers from printer scan list

Rick

15 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 08:00

Hi Rick,

I have gone through those steps multiple times but with no success. I have a screen shot but not sure how to post it on the forum.

Jon

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 10:00

Jon,

To upload an image, click on the little picture icon, then locate the file on your computer. You might need Microsoft Silverlight to upload the file.

Copy the information in between the lines, to notepad, then save as ipinfo.cmd

========================================

ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\Desktop\ipinfo.txt"
arp -a >> "%userprofile%\Desktop\ipinfo.txt"
notepad "%userprofile%\Desktop\ipinfo.txt"

========================================

Right click on it, then left click run as administrator. At the bottom, there will be a list of ip addresses. One of those ip addresses will be your printer. If you enter the ip address in the address bar of Internet Exploere, it should bring up the printer's configuration page.

Rick

15 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 11:00

I see where I messed up with posting the picture. I was trying to do it from the response option below a post and not in the create/edit post page. That's why there weren't any icons for me to see. Anyhow, below is the picture:

I am not concerned about the printers. I want the Dell, Inc. in devices to be the same as the assigned computer name in the device manager and system properties. The name in the devices should have changed when I changed it in the system properties. Not sure why it hasn't yet.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 11:00

jpk717,

Changing the name is Control panel, system, then restarting your computer, what is listed in system, should match your device in Devices and printers.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System

Rick

15 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 12:00

That's the problem. It's not matching at all!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 15:00

jpk717,

Control panel, system, change settings. You change the name, then restart your computer. It changes in Devices and printers.

***NOTE*** COMPUTER NAME LIMITED TO 15 CHARACTERS

Rick

15 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 18:00

Rick,

I did all those steps multiple times and the changes don't change anything in the devices and printers portion. This is on Windows 8 Pro btw. Not sure if that changes anything.

Jon

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

jpk717,

Start, control panel, system. You see...

Click on change settings. You'll see...

Click on, To rename this computer, click Change. You'll see...

I changed the name where I have the red arrow, then clicked ok and saved everything. Was prompted to have the changes take effect, I needed to restart the computer.

Rick

15 Posts

That hasn't worked for me yet. I have changed it using the above steps to various names and it still didn't change in devices. It is pulling the Dell Inc. name from somewhere other than from the system properties. Any idea as to where that could be?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Jon,

Are you in the administrative account?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 19:00

Jon,

I just tried this on a system I have Windows 8.1 trial edition installed and you are correct, it doesn't change, but it's supposed to.

You may want to contact Microsoft or post in the Microsoft Answers-Hardware Forum and see what they recommend.

Please keep me informed.

Rick

15 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 19:00

Rick,

Thanks for continuing to work on this issue with me. I am using the administrative account and I did put a post in the Microsoft forum tonight. I will try to make changes on another laptop that I have that is exactly the same tomorrow and see if it works on that computer. Maybe it's a Windows 8 thing that happened during an update or something.

Thanks again,

Jon

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 20:00

Jon,

Maybe contacting Microsoft about this, they'll release an update that will correct this.

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/

From what I'm seeing, this may be isolated to Windows 8 systems.

Rick

No Events found!