Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2014 12:00

Can't boot from USB?

Hello all! I am DedSec!

I've been using my laptop (Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition) for almost 2 years now and I must it is a BEAST! Dell designs great products. However I have this little issue. I want to boot from USB but... there is no option for it (lol right) nobody had this issue before. However, I managed to update my BIOS from A02 to A11. Still, I go to LEGACY BOOT category and no USB option. I go to Boot Options, no USB option (just Hard Disk, CD/CD-RW, Network). Any solutions? It is very crazy lol, cant understand why this happens.

P.S If I ask you to explain something somehow better please don't get mad, I am only 14 and I am from Greece, I love tech but we are humans, not machines :)

Any kind of answer/comment is acceptable, but try not to go off-topic (insults, rage etc.)

3 Posts

October 26th, 2014 13:00

Any help?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 26th, 2014 13:00

In order to boot from USB, either the USB drive needs to be partitioned GPT (not MBR), or if it's not, secure boot must be turned OFF and the legacy BIOS enabled.  If you do the latter, be sure you change the system back to UEFI ON or Windows won't load thereafter.  Also be sure you DO NOT run any utilities that will write to the boot sector of the hard drive - or you will face a no-boot thereafter.

3 Posts

October 26th, 2014 15:00

It is GPT, what I am saying is that there is no option to boot from USB.

This is how it looks like:

• Hard Drive
  • CD/CD-RW/CD-ROM
  • Network

It doesn't make any sense lol, first time I see this in my whole life, which is kinda fun xD

No Events found!