Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

11 Posts

March 22nd, 2006 04:00

Black screen at windows

Ok this has to be one of the strangest problems i have ever seen

Ok i just bought laptop recently and booted it up every time i can see bios screens just find on the lcd but when it booted up to the windows setup the screen went black. I connected a external monitor to go through the process and then when i get through with it i finish and i still have no screen. I restart to no avail reinstall drivers reinstall with the dell ctrl f11 nothing works til i try to boot into safe mode then wow my screen works perfectly. I then tried restarting and have done just about everything to get this thing to work. Now i just uninstalled video card drivers and rebooted it and i get picture until i mess with the monitor drivers or restart again. The monitor drivers are all called default monitor and there are four of them. I guess i am going to be sending this back to dell :(

inspiron 9300 with a x300 vid card in it.

14.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2006 08:00

Did you tried updating your video drivers to the latest available?

11 Posts

March 22nd, 2006 21:00

Currently I am almost positive it is a monitor driver for the onboard.  If i could install from a true windows disk instead of the built in partition i bet it would fix it but my copy of win home will not install from inside windows and if try to boot to the cdrom drive it wont do it either

11 Posts

I do believe i have fixed it

I did solve my problem i believe though I had to reload the partition a third time this time hit the ctrl f8 key during boot up and it seemed to get me through I am currently installing windows still so ill edit if it works

update booted fully into windows on the lcd need to restart once after removing the loads of dell junk and getting decent antivirus.  So glad i didnt listen to the tech support about the problem

edit stupid piece of junk when it restarted the problem came back
definately a faulty monitor driver

Message Edited by Maethor on 03-22-2006 05:33 PM

11 Posts

Yes and flash the video bios both good.   I am thinking that since it is a refurb they replaced the monitor with a different model and did not install the drivers for this monitor but left the ones for the old one on the partition

9 Posts

March 24th, 2006 03:00

there is nothing as ctrl+f8 in dell system, i am a dell engineer in dell canada.. So the issue that u r facing is a problem witht he video card drivers.. that has to be updated.. u can format the systema dn reinstall os by tapping f12 during bootup and then choose boot from cd rom and boot off the os cd and format the disk and reinstall os.. after that update the video drivers from www.support.dell.com.

hopefully it should work

edited..
and update the bios and video drivers.. it will work..:)

Message Edited by puttu on 03-23-2006 11:13 PM

11 Posts

March 25th, 2006 04:00

I am only a small step from sending the laptop back to dell right now because I really cant take this much longer.   I guess i just need to call and mail the laptop back for repairs or see if they have a local place.

11 Posts

March 25th, 2006 04:00

actually that did not work.  What seems to be happening is that when i install the ati drivers it does not detect the onboard monitor.  I wonder if the built in windows drivers are still trying to load up and thats whats causing the grief.

23 Posts

April 18th, 2006 17:00

Seems like in my search for answers to this exact problem (Inspiron 9100) I am finding many threads with the same problems. See the following:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_video&message.id=146761&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

I have a three year extended warranty and have been chasing this for a year or so. Dell Techs have had me uninstall the video drivers, then load the latest drivers from the Dell web site, reformat the hard drive, replace the hard drive, and now have taken the laptop to the repair depot for repair. We will see. If you search through all the message threads here, you will find variations of the same problem. One wonders how widespread this really is. You can live with the problem, so long as a single power cycle fixes the problem. In my case I put the machine in standby every night. This also seemed to bypass the problem. Eventually, I had to power cycle the machine 15-20 times to get it to come up. I figured I would leave tracks as I searched for a solution here in case anyone actually comes up with a permanent effective fix for this.
No Events found!