Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

July 20th, 2007 13:00

Battery Lights Blink Orange 3 Times then Green Once

I have an Inspiron 5150 and yesterday my batter light began blinking orange 3 times in a row and then green once.  This happens when it is on ac and battery power.  I haved looked and been unable to find an answer for this.  Does anyone know what it may mean?  I have tried removing the batter to see if that helped it but it did not.

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 20th, 2007 13:00

One or more of the cells in the battery is faulty.

1 Message

July 20th, 2007 20:00

There is no way that this is a coincidence :( I have an Inspiraon 5150 too and the same problem!! It happened to me this week, and for the rest of the week I had a message:

Just after BIOS: hit f1 to continue, F2 for BIOS, F3 to skip messages necause my AC adapter was not recognized.

In Windows: after plugging in my AC adapter a warning that my battery would not charge and performance would be non optimal due to .... not recognized ac adapter.

At some points it "suddenly" recognizes the adapter ( most of the time after a few reboots ), charges the battery fine but as soon as i unhook it.. same problem again! even in the same windiws session.

thinking of a conspiracy from Dell :smileymad:

6 Posts

July 21st, 2007 12:00

ejn63 wrote:
One or more of the cells in the battery is faulty.

I have the same since yesterday!! With an Inspiron 6400 (I don't believe the conspiracy suggestion though).
I use the Inspiron solely as a desktop, never on battery power. My questions :
Can I leave the faulty battery in place or should I remove it? Or is it required to have a functioning battery in place even though it is never used?

5 Posts

July 21st, 2007 15:00

My battery light started doing the EXACT same thing this morning too! The darn thing is driving me crazy, I have tried everything imaginable to correct it.

I'm hoping Dell keeps an eye on these boards, they make it incredibly frustrating to try and resolve any issues with my out of warranty laptop.

It can't be a coincidence that this sudden, strange, light flashing combination, has started to haunt numerous people all at the same time. I hope they're able to recognize this, and make right on the malfunction.

Message Edited by egaertner on 07-21-2007 11:12 AM

3 Posts

July 21st, 2007 19:00

Add another instance. Battery failure should be all orange (amber), no green.

July 21st, 2007 22:00

Thank you for the comments.  It seems strange that no one at Dell knows what this means.

5 Posts

July 21st, 2007 22:00

Well, do Dell employees regularly patrol these boards? I've never used them before. If we don't get some response to this, I plan on tracking down a Dell rep one way or another (without shelling out $$$ just to speak to someone).

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2007 14:00

What answer are you looking for? The blinking LEDs on the battery and the amber/orange/red on the system power strip mean one or more of the cells in the battery is faulty. If the system operates otherwise (battery charges, etc.), replace the battery.

If the battery isn't charging, but will run from AC, that's another matter - it's a failing system board.

5 Posts

July 22nd, 2007 14:00

Looking back a few pages on the boards, I don't see anyone describing this strange pattern of the orange light blinking 3 times (or 4?) and then the green flashing once, and repeating. If I'm incorrect on that assumption, then it's a different story entirely. But the sudden influx of people having this same strange symptom, is of no coincidence. Dropping $120 on a new battery isn't the easiest solution for some people either.

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2007 21:00

Does seems strange. A friend had the same problem, but Dell replaced her battery under Warranty. It seems like a bad bunch of batteries, since neither of ours were running off the battery -- they apparently fail with age. Nice if there were a recall.

33 Posts

July 27th, 2007 04:00

The battery indicator light on my Inspiron 5100 has also begun blinking orange 3 times, then green once. This began on July 25. It holds a charge fine, and I've tried unplugging it the power cord, plugging it back in, removing the battery and putting it back in, leaving the laptop off for 8 hours straight, etc. The blinking orange light remains.

I find it highly suspect that this would happen to so many people all at once during such a small timespan. Why would so many batteries decide to "die" like this?

Is the only solution to buy a new battery?

Message Edited by bugmenot0 on 07-27-2007 12:33 AM

1 Message

October 17th, 2007 15:00

The exact same thing is happening to my Inspiron. I read another post somewhere where they said that they plugged in a new battery, and it wrecked that battery. I have two batteries for my Inspiron, but now i'm scared to plug in the second battery in case the motherboard charging circuitry is breaking batteries... :/ Any word from dell on this?

1 Message

December 9th, 2007 01:00

I have an Inspiron E1505 and this exact thing started happening to my laptop 2 days ago!!  Im glad to see that im not the only one experiencing this 3 orange 1 green blinking pattern.  Does anyone know what to do about this other then replacing the battery?  Conveniently, my 1 year warranty ran out just last month ... hmmmmm

1 Message

December 27th, 2007 01:00

hi, i am new to the forum , i found the same problem recently with my 6400 , in the owners manual it states the light sequence indicates the battery is to hot to charge , and it should be cooled, along with the laptop ,to room temp. hasent helped mine but may for you.

7 Posts

January 18th, 2008 12:00

I have Dell XPS M1710 and yesterday I started having same problem. My laptop was unplugged from AC and the extremely irritating blinking started. 4 orange quickly - and then 1 green slowly. It goes on even if I turn the laptop off. It only stops when the laptop is turned off and power cord is connected, but as soon as I turn it on the blinking starts again. My battery seems to charge normally, but the lifespan is reduced like 35%-40%. I just want to stop the blinking... it's so irritating I have to cover the light with cloth. I hope someone has found answer to this one.
No Events found!