Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

6 Posts

August 9th, 2006 17:00

Backlight or Inverter?

How can you tell the difference between needing to replace the backlight or inverter?
My computer had a black screen, but you could see images in bright light. I had the backlight replaced, now the screen is fuzzy and you can't see anything. It does work fine on an external monitor.
So...Do you think I should try an inverter? or do I have to get the whole LCD screen replaced? I can't afford either and need my laptop!! Thinks stinks!

Thanks for your help, Kelly

August 9th, 2006 20:00

Kelly

I have an Inspiron 8000 and can barely read my screen also.....u have several different things to try first before replacing the whole screen

1st - replace the inverter on the back of the LCD - u can find them on ebay for $19.95 plus shipping

2nd - try replacing your video card if you can remove it and see if that helps out

3rd - buy you a replacement screen from an auction on ebay which will run between $100 -300 plus shipping depending on who u buy it from

here is a link to show u what an LCD inverter looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&item=110018015081&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

for the video card itself..Dell has made so many different ones for different laptops try searching for the one u have on ebay also not sure of the cost as i havent researched them yet, im going to replace the inverter on my screen first and see if that fixes it before buying a replacment screen.....hope this helps u out.....jeff

52 Posts

August 10th, 2006 18:00

I'd put a lot of money on the fact that it's the backlight that is out. If you can put a flash light to the back of the screen and see images...then its the back light. In this case, not many tech places can/will replace a backlight, even though it is possible.

http://www.screentekinc.com

ScreenTek sells LCD replacement panels for a fraction of what laptop makers will charge. If you're still under warranty, call Dell and get the screen replaced.

Good luck.
No Events found!