Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

September 30th, 2003 14:00

AC power only, Can't charge battery

One day i got a screen during start up that said something about my AC adapter not working and to go to setup (hitting 'F2' during startup) to fix it. but the little green light was working and my battery was at 100% and ran fine power-wise with the AC adapter. Then i went to the library to study and thus battery power was used, came back and plugged in the AC adapter again, but now my battery will not charge and stays at 42%. So i tried going through the setup and but had no idea what to do because the battery is responding. any suggestions?

3.1K Posts

September 30th, 2003 15:00

Just1in20,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Please remove the battery and visually check the connector in the bay and on the battery for damage.

Check the charge directly on the battery, using the button and lights on the back of the battery. The lights should come on and stay on for a few seconds. If the indicator shows no charge, there could be an issue with the AC adapter instead of the battery. If any of the lights flash, then it may be a problem with the battery. Please tell me what lights come on and whether or not they flash or come on for a few seconds. Then reinsert the battery, and make sure that the battery will fully seat in the bay. It should be flush with the case plastics.

Try another battery, if possible. Try the battery in another system of the same model, if possible.

The 4 cell batteries should last about an hour without heavy use of the processor. 8 cell batteries should last roughly double this.

Dell warrants batteries for one year after the original purchase date of the system. After this time period, you should contact our Spare Parts department to purchase a replacement. Spare Parts can be reached at 1-800-372-3355 Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 7 PM Central time.

You can also purchase spare parts and accessories through our website. Start at:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/dellitems.asp

Put in your Service Tag Number, or choose your system and you will be taken to a list of new and refurbished parts for your system.

This knowledge base article may provide additional information.

1 Message

October 14th, 2003 18:00

I have exactly the same problem, except, the power light on the docking station, and the laptop lights up for 4-5minutes, and then goes out. the batteries never recharge, but the computer will run from mains if there is a battery in. i've just bought new batteries, and know they work in another machine

2 Posts

November 15th, 2003 15:00

I have the same problem with my Latitude C800.  It was fine when I was only using one battery.  When I bought another battery and installed it in the second bay, it worked fine for a few weeks.  Then all of a sudden one day it wouldn't charge the batteries, even though the battery monitor said it was "charging".  I tried using only one battery, same results.  I had a third, older battery and tried it to no avail.  The green lights on the battery itself light up showing the correct amount of charge, so the battery meter in the computer appears to be sensing the correct charge, so why it doesn't charge the battery is beyond me??  I am thinking about updating my BIOS from the A16 to the A19 but am worried that I will make matters even worse after reading some of the posts.  Right now my only option is to run on AC power and hope my batteries hold up.  I can't even charge a newly purchased battery in my computer now, so the only option I have is to find someone who can charge my batteries so I can run on AC power.  Why doesn't Dell or someone else sell an external battery charger?  If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

6 Posts

November 15th, 2003 16:00

i assumed it was a bad battery or poweradapter. went down to my tech center at my college and a dell technician tried a new battery, new power adapter, and a combo of both on mine laptop, didnt work... then used my battery and power adapter on his laptop, worked... my laptop, as it turns out, had damage to its motherboard not allowing it to rechagre the battery and how mine wasnt the first to have this problem. something about a charger that was too powerful for the model when it started manufacturing so Dell changed the motherboard then changed the power adapter after fixing the motherboard problem so that basically repeated the problem... in the end they installed a new motherboard and my computer and battery work fine now, i didnt have to pay for it either because of the warranty and the contract Framingham State has with Dell.

6 Posts

November 16th, 2003 19:00

Finally something helpful!  LOL...I have 2 lattitudes cpi or cpxi whatever...both used to charge the batteries and both stopped after a week of each other, I got a new battery and it didnt work either, so I posted online...nobody ever metioned anything about a motherboard! 

Do you by any chance know how much it WOULD have cost for the motherboard...since these were refurbished and not warrented??

Thanks for any suggestions!

6 Posts

November 18th, 2003 14:00

sorry, i have no idea how much it would cost to replace.. couldnt even give you a ballpark figure.. id call and ask a dell tech how much it would cost or see a local comp guy and get an estimate. if you know some stuff about computers you could try it yourself.  me, i'd ask a local comp store how much it would cost first then try a dell tech, cause you'd have to pay to ship it to dell yourself.

p.s. have you tried a new ac adapter?

6 Posts

November 18th, 2003 16:00

Thanks anyway!

Well I havent tried a NEW power adapter...but I have tried switching adapters from the 2.  I should probably just get it to a tech guy or just get a new one (which is what I REALLY want!)

Thanks for your input!

Jen

2 Posts

April 11th, 2004 00:00

I had the same problem and had the Dell guys come in to change out the motherboard. Turns out it was a switch of some kind (I think on the back of the laptop) that got changed accidentally.

11 Posts

April 13th, 2004 10:00

I have the same problem with a new X300, but one of 5 different power adapters is working OK and it has a different part number : PA12 family PA-1650-05D, DP/N5U092, CN-05U092-7165-41S-4A6D, rev A02 (delivered with the media station). But even this one is blocking upgrading the BIOS, because the X300 do not believe that both the battery and the AC is connected at the same time. Adapters in the PA-10 family, including the new combined AC and travel unit is not able to charge batteries. Targus reports that their line of unversal adapters are only able to run the new D-series from AC, not charging the battery. All adaptors measure OK at around 19,7 V.

DELL service told med that I would get a new motherboard, but so far I have only recieved a delay message.

At least one of our new D800 have the same problem

8 Posts

April 16th, 2004 14:00

My battery , when you press the button on the battery 3 light sflash 3 times?

Just up a stop without warning one day. Any thoughts?

770 Posts

April 16th, 2004 14:00

Lights flashing on teh battery when you press the test button are an inducation that the battery is "bad".  The circuitry inside the battery thinks it is bad,  and flashes the LEDs to let you know this.  It is an indication that it is time to replace the battery...

8 Posts

April 16th, 2004 17:00

Bummer, thanks for the input.

11 Posts

April 29th, 2004 08:00

I have had this problem with my mew X300, but after new mainboard and new chargers it is now OK. BUT : the "travel charger" is still not working properly. No errors on boot, but refuse to charge battery. I got a new one, but it had the same part number and the same problem.

Is there a working version of the combination/travel charger ?

We have similar problems with some D800 as well. My impression is that  the problem is in the mainboards communication with the adapters and that Dell treats this in a "trial and error" way. The service-minded are fast in supplying new parts to try out, but maybe they haven't sorted it all out yet.

TIP:

This problem in all its forms will block upgrading the BIOS (AC or battery not connected), but this seem to be a faulty error message. By doing the process inside windows using the downloeded folder rather than sinlge program, it worked adn I am now at BIOS A06.

Thor Ø Jensen

Norway

3 Posts

May 10th, 2004 22:00

Can a Dell moderator comment on this motherboard problem.  I have the exact same problem (charging light stays on for a few seconds or minutes then turns off), while battery stays at 0% and windows reports "charging."  Do I need a new motherboard?  Refurb? etc...

Kevin

June 21st, 2004 23:00

My two-month old Inspiron 8600 notebook will not charge the battery, and runs only on the ac adaptor.  When on AC, the battery LED does not light (which would signify that it's charging), however, it blinks yellow when the AC is off and the battery is low.  I pushed the test button on the battery, and it has a solid green for a few seconds, then turns off (normal behavior).  When the battery is in and the AC is on, there are no lights on the battery itself, unless I push the test button.  No debris or other visible problem with the battery, and I have removed and replaced it several times and ensured good contact.  The computer has not been abused or misused in anyway.  I noticed this AC adapter problem when trying to upgrade my BIOS from A06 to A08.

Tech support says I have to mail my computer in and get a new motherboard.  I'm glad I'm under warranty, and despite that I find this problem unacceptable for a brand new computer, I'll just have to get it fixed, and hope it doesn't happen when it's OUT of warranty.  And that's one of my main questions:  Is this a problem that's going to recurr???  Or is a motherboard swapout going to eliminate the problem permanently?

Another thought:  I use my computer in my vehicle a lot, and have a power inverter, which plugs into your cigarette lighter and produces a "modified sine wave" (i.e., an approximation of the true sine wave AC power you get from your electrical outlet at home).  Has anyone experienced any recurring problems that may be caused by use of a power inverter?  It would be a major problem if I couldn't use it.

If I'm able to figure out a way to get the BIOS upgraded, and it works, I can let you know.

Someone mentioned something about a problem with a switch on the back of the computer "or something".  If you're computer's still under warranty, I don't recommend messing with any jumpers or internal switches, since it may void your warranty.

Nothing I've tried through set-up has made any difference (and I've tried a lot).  I also used the diagnostic disk and everything is "good".

If anyone thinks this may be a driver or other firmware related problem, I'd sure like to hear about it...having my computer in the shop for two weeks is unbearable.

No Events found!