Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

57 Posts

July 17th, 2004 11:00

AC Power Adapter Type cannot be determined

I get this message whenever I power up my computer (I 8600).
I select F1 to finish starting the computer.
The power adaptor "works" in that it does supply power to the computer.
However, the adaptor does NOT recharge the battery. My battery is at 70% power and holding.

This is a fairly new 8600, purchased in December 2003
I had a problem with the mobo power connecter and had to have the mobo replaced the first week.

I read the FAQ above and reset the BIOS settings as directed.
Did not help.

I also unplugged the power adaptor and took out the battery over night to see if that would reset the system.
Did not help.

I put in my spare battery and tried charging the battery with the computer turned off.
Did not help.

I am one week into a three week business trip and I 'could' wait to get home to have this fixed.
However,  I am concerned that my battery will eventually  discharge.

I called Dell technical support and hung up after being on hold for 90 minutes.
Any suggestions??

Grant

Message Edited by Granted on 07-17-2004 10:23 AM

8 Posts

July 18th, 2004 05:00

Ceck your power supply connector that plugs into the laptop. Look into the end and see if the center pin is bent. If it is, you probably have a damaged power supply which needs to be replaced.

See this message for more info:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_power&message.id=27309

57 Posts

July 18th, 2004 13:00

Hi Pando

Thanks for your reply.  I read the link that you included in your message. My problem is a little different from that described in the link.

My AC adaptor does supply power to the computer, however, it does not charge the battery.  So my AC adaptor is still functioning partially.

I did check the AC adaptor connector and the center pin and also cleaned the surfaces inside and outside. (With the adaptor unplugged of course).  Everything look ok and the center pin was straight and not touching the side of the connector.

What is odd, the adaptor was  working just fine until I turned it on one morning and the problem started.  And, I had not unplugged the adaptor and plugged it back in prior to that, so that it could have been damaged??

So, assuming that the adaptor continues to work as a power source I should be ok until I get home from my trip and can spend more time figuring out whether the problem is with the adaptor or with the MOBO.

I am really disappointed that I cannot "rely" on my Dell I8600 to function reliably while I am traveling!!!!

Grant

131 Posts

July 18th, 2004 22:00

The problem is your adapter recognition circuit has blown. Your computer won't recognise it as a 90w adapter even though it is putting out 90w. The processor will be stepped down to a slower speed and the battery recharge circuit will be closed off. Only solution is a new adapter. Dell is well aware of the problem with these PA10 adapters, but chooses to do nothing about it and why should they, a fortune is made from selling new adapters.

57 Posts

July 19th, 2004 01:00

Message Edited by Granted on 07-18-2004 09:28 PM

57 Posts

Message Edited by Granted on 07-18-2004 09:29 PM

57 Posts

Hi Fat Cat

Thanks for the information. 
Are you saying that "my problem is with the AC Adaptor not with the MOBO"?
If so, I would consider that 'good news' in that it is much easier to replace my 90 watt AC adaptor than to replace my MOBO.

Also, I think that the power adaptor is covered under my Dell warranty for the first year??

Grant

131 Posts

July 19th, 2004 22:00

If the system works with the AC adapter plugged in, but doesn't charge the battery then it is the adapter for sure. Check to see if speedstep has kicked in to slow the processor (right click on My Computer and select Properties). This is another indicator that the MOBO is fine. You should see a speed in  MHz that is approximately half that of your processor (ie: 1.2GHz instead of 2.4GHz). Lots of us have experienced exactly the same problem. I was fortunate enough to have 2 adapters (one at home and one at work). One of the adapters gave me the symptoms you described (not recognized), but if I unplugged it and plugged in the other one - no problems at all - therefore definitely not a MOBO problem.

57 Posts

July 20th, 2004 11:00

Hi Fat Cat

I checked the speedstep settings and the CPU was running at 209hz instead of 1,700hz just like you predicted.  Looks like all I need to do is get a new AC power adaptor from Dell.

Thanks for the help and good news!!

Grant

Message Edited by Granted on 07-20-2004 07:26 AM

9 Posts

July 26th, 2004 16:00

Ive just started getting exactly the same problem on my Inspiron 8600.

Thanks for the solution, 1 question.

Did Dell charge you for a new adapter or was it covered by warranty?

57 Posts

July 26th, 2004 22:00

Hi Smek

I am still on my business trip and have not yet re-contacted Dell. 
My assumption is that both the battery and the AC adaptor are covered by a one year warranty. 
I have a 4-year at home warrenty on my I8600.

It is a real pain to have my 1700 mhz cpu running at 210 mhz just because of my broken AC adaptor.
I will be home this weekend and will let you know what Dell says.
I have a neighbor with at 8600 identical to mine and I am going to try his AC adaptor on my system to make sure that this fixes the problem before I call Dell.

Grant 

Message Edited by Granted on 07-26-2004 07:17 PM

9 Posts

July 27th, 2004 11:00

Thanks

I've contacted Dell and awaiting a reply.

In the meantime you  could try turning speedstep off in the bios?

That might do the trick and let the cpu run at 1700, but it will run at that all of the time.

8 Posts

July 27th, 2004 14:00

You may want to read this KB article, which explains how power settings affect the speed of the processor. Set it to "Always On", reboot, and see if your processor speed goes back to maximum.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318682

An excerpt from the article is listed below:

On a Windows XP-based computer, control of processor performance states is inherent. Four modes of operation, known as processor policies, are used to control processor performance states. The processor policies used by Windows XP are:

None      Always runs at the highest performance state
Adaptive  Performance state chosen based on CPU demand
Degrade   Starts at the lowest performance state, and then uses linear
          performance reduction (stop clock throttling) as battery
          discharges
Constant  Always runs at the lowest performance state

These processor policies are directly tied to the power schemes available in the Power Options tool in Control Panel. The following power schemes are provided with Windows XP. Note that additional power schemes may be provided by your system vendor.

Processor Policy
================

Power Scheme        AC Power    DC Power
Home/Office Desk    None        Adaptive
Portable/Laptop     Adaptive    Adaptive
Presentation        Adaptive    Degrade
Always On           None        None
Minimal Power Mgmt. Adaptive    Adaptive
Max Battery         Adaptive    Degrade

9 Posts

July 27th, 2004 15:00

turning speed stepping of has done nothing to effect the speed, its still at 209mhz

Also that Microsoft arctile doesnt seem to have changed the cpu speed. :(

Dell have got back to me and explained that i need to send them a few details and they will send me out a new adapter in 3-4 days

131 Posts

July 27th, 2004 23:00

when you check your processor speed, use the Intel Processor Frequency test (http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/frequencyid/sb/CS-007623.htm). It is much more reliable. The speed reported by Windows is often not correct, especially the speed shown on the My Computer Properties dialog. Select the QuickSet ALWAYS ON power option and then run the Intel utility.

9 Posts

July 29th, 2004 13:00

Update: Sent my form in 2 days ago, dell phoned yesterday to check settings, then the adapter arrived today, even tho is said 2-5 days from despatch

Very good service from this company again, altho they problem may have been known to them still good service resolving it.

No Events found!