Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 20th, 2017 12:00

AC Adapter Error Message

Hi,

Just happened to me one hour ago. My internet connection was really slow so I decided to reboot my laptop: Alienware 17 R3. While rebooting a message appeared: (I do not have all the details, I searched it in google)

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 180W AC adapter or higher for best system operation

The AC adapter type cannot be determined. This will prevent optimal system performance.
Strike F3 key ( before F1 or F2 key) if you don't want to see power warning messages again.

I switched off the laptop and switched on again, the same process and had the same error 3 times but the last time I let the computer boot by striking F3 and a recovery system message appeared so I was so scared that I switched off the computer. Then, I checked the plugs and connections of the battery, unplugged the wall plug outlet and plugged again, I have an extension socket with 6 sockets so I tried another socket, the message never appeared again neither the recovery system message.

I checked the BIOS, everything seems normal: "The battery is performing normally" and warning battery messages is "enabled" (I barely remember this option). I tried shuting down the computer and rebooting but this error have not happened again. I also unplugged the battery and waited to 90% to plug again and see if charges or not but seems that works fine and is charging. Also, the green light of the battery is working, is ok. The only incident I had after that happened was my internet connection not working after rebooting, my internet was not recognized but once again I rebooted and everything seems to be fine. This is all the things that happened until now that I decided to write here. I will reboot again and test the laptop.

I am very confused, in computing things don't broke and work again without any explanation. What the *** happened? What can I do? I can't see any relation between internet connection and the battery. Also this happened suddenly and suddenly worked fine.

Thank you in advance. I would appreciate your opinion.

Regards

Jorge

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 20th, 2017 13:00

:emotion-2:

When I'm plugging the AC adapter too quickly in the plug socket, I will received that error code. I believe it has something to do with the ID pin in the center of the connector tip. Please click on link below:

AC Adapter Error Message Occurs | Dell US

EDIT:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 20th, 2017 13:00

11 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 21:00

Thank you for your reply houdel. Since that day, never happened the same again. In case that I need it, should I buy a new connector or the entire battery (AC adapter + connectors)? In that case, do you know if is easy to find a new battery of a specific model? Is a gaming laptop.

38 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 21:00

We have had the same problem with both our Alienware and Inspiron computers (we have three Alienware 17 R3s and three Inspiron 17Rs, all 4+ years old). As best I have been able to figure out, it appears with heavy usage the ID of the power adapter connector "grows" a little bit from normal wear and tear, resulting in an inconsistent connection causing the error message you encountered. Removing and reinstalling the connector may make the problem go away temporarily. Replacing the AC adapter should solve the problem.

No Events found!