Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2020 08:00

Inspiron G5 15 5500, hitting 100c easily

Hi,

When idle, my CPU temps sit at around 54-72c. But whenever I put the CPU under pressure like for example run a benchmarking test with the HeavyLoad utility, it immediately reaches 100c on most cores and it sits there, causing some major thermal throttling. It also almost always sits close to a 100c when gaming. I am almost positive it thermal throttles even in games. I want to know if this is "normal" behaviour as I really want this laptop to last but these things scare me.

Thanks.

5 Posts

January 25th, 2021 02:00

Hey,

My issue is somewhat fixed now and after a lot of worrying and testing I can finally say that I'm happy with the computer I got. I had even sent my computer in for repairs with Dell. It took months and they ended up sending me the computer back "unrepaired" because 100c and major thermal throttling is normal to them I suppose. I could go on about how bad their customer service is with these laptops but I don't want to ramble so here's the solution to my own post.

What fixed my issue was undervolting and testing my machine throughougly for best results combined with ripping off the dust filter mesh on the inside of the back cover (Not recommended.) I will probably have to re-paste/clean the heatsink a bit more often now that the mesh filter's gone but the airflow has been improved significantly and I'm all for it since the laptop barely ever leaves my desk and always has a cooling pad that's turned off beneath it.

Here's a video on how you can undervolt the i7 10750h on this machine: https://youtu.be/zVAJVyF06Ro

The problem with disabling turbo boost completely is that a lot of games benefit significantly from higher clock speeds and disabling it is unneccessary when you can just lower the turbo boost values to a point where your system performs well and doesn't thermal throttle.

Currently I'm running an undervolt of -165 on core, -88.9 on cache and -70.3 on both iGPU sections with ThrottleStop. So far it's been stable and I haven't gotten a single BSoD or crash in weeks, assuming it's stable.

fivr.png
tpl.png

(Do not straight up copy anyone elses settings because each CPU behaves a bit differently. You should start from somewhere like -40 on CPU/CACHE and go from there. If you set an undervolt too high, your system will crash with a BSoD and there's a chance that you won't be able boot it up without going into safe mode and deleting your ThrottleStop settings.)

My CPU temps never exceed mid to low 90s under full/maximum load.

Hope this helps.

10 Elder

• 

23.7K Posts

August 31st, 2020 08:00

What you've seen is that the system cannot run flat-out without throttling, and that's standard for every notebook these days.  

The system WILL throttle to save itself when it's pushed flat out, just as your car will overheat if you drive it at redline for very long.

When using the system and throttling occurs, reduce the CPU speed accordingly and turn off the discrete GPU when it's not needed.  Outside of very large, 17" gaming systems that weigh over 10 pounds and are 1.5 inches or large in height, nothing has enough cooling to keep up with flat-out operation for more than brief bursts.  There's just no way to dissipate the heat that results in anything slimmer or smaller -- the laws of thermodynamics catch up with the power consumption of newer Intel CPUs and nVidia and AMD GPUs.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2020 14:00

I’m having this same problem.  So to be clear, what you are saying, is Dell is making a product that is unable to handle the heat it creates, and default sets the hardware to overheat.  My last g5 died from overheating after two years of use and it is looking like this recent purchase of a new g5 was also a mistake.  I was assured by sales staff that this problem of overheating had been resolved.  

1 Message

January 4th, 2021 18:00

I was having the same problem, but after the bios update and using fn f7 to enable High Performance mode dropped the temps with a cooling pad down to about 90 while playing Watch Dogs two for about an hour.

5 Posts

January 24th, 2021 14:00

@cesus @Terrencehot @Munsonned @ejn63 

As a fellow G5 15 5500 owner myself, I found intel turbo boost to blame for this. Disabling it from BIOS SIGNIFICANTLY cut down on temps - from 90+ degrees when gaming to 75 degrees (max). There is virtually no difference in fps or performance. 

Maybe a BIOS update will resolve this? (or improve?)

2 Posts

April 21st, 2021 16:00

Terrencehot

Just so newer users know which BIOS to look for, what is the current version on yours?  I keep doing the support assist and driver scans and get nothing, but I'm with the rest of y'all and mine exceeded 100C on stress test as well.  I have Thermal on performance mode through the Alienware Command Center app, should anything else get changed?  A tech is still supposed to be meeting with me soon to check the heat sink and fans.

1 Message

June 4th, 2021 14:00

How did you disable turbo boost?

1 Message

July 7th, 2021 01:00

Open bios with f2 upon starting, search for turboboost. I believe its also under the performance tab

No Events found!