Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 26th, 2018 12:00

Inspiron 5577 Headset no mic

Hi again,

I purchased the Dell Inspiron 15 5577 a few months ago and its doing well.(http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=111764)

I have tried a few times with different devices to see if I could plug in a headset with a 3.5mm jack or earbuds (both with a built in mic) and have had no  luck getting the microphone to work.

I have tried various versions of Realtek drivers with no success and have gone through the WIndows 10 Recording devices settings to no avail.

I had found and looked at: https://www.dell.com/community/General/Laptop-not-using-external-mic/m-p/4770048#M887057

Which unfortunately seems to state that I am probably SOL.

At this point I would just like to know if it actually has an audio in/out combo jack. The following is an example picture I found with the same little headset/mic logo that my laptop has. Its on the top left, second from the left. (With the headset + microphone)

Example of the audio combo jack logo on my laptop.

Am I likely to ever get this working without a usb sound card/converter of some sort?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 26th, 2018 20:00

I have tried a few times with different devices to see if I could plug in a headset with a 3.5mm jack or earbuds (both with a built in mic) and have had no  luck getting the microphone to work.

Hello. When you plug in the devices do you see a popup dialog on the screen, where you have to specify the type of device you plugged in? Is "microphone" set as the default device in the Windows Sound applet on the Recording tab?

I have tried various versions of Realtek drivers

Dell has only released 2 audio drivers for the i5577. If you have the Creators version of Win10 then stick with the latest one, 6.0.1.8142.

At this point I would just like to know if it actually has an audio in/out combo jack.

It does. Do you need a link to the documentation?

January 26th, 2018 23:00

Documentation.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 29th, 2018 06:00

You need a Y cable that converts it to IPHONE style headset from standard PC headset.  The port is Iphone Style TRRT

https://www.amazon.com/MillSO-Headphone-Splitter-Adapter-Smartphone/dp/B071DMCZQF

IPHONE HEADSET Y CABLE

5577 ports

January 29th, 2018 07:00

Hello everyone,  thank you for the replies.  I work weekends and its been a busy one so I haven't had a chance to try what you've suggested yet.

I realised I could have included some more information to help diagnose the issue. 

First of,  when I got the laptop,  I swapped out the Hargrove and installed an SSD with a fresh copy of Windows 10 professional. I installed the Dell driver utility (can't remember what its called right now) to get Dell drivers, etc.

When I plug in a headset or my headphones,  they have a 4 pin 3.5mm connector (mic in and audio out). When I plugged them in,  I selected headphones/headset. Unplugging and replugging them in does not get me the same pop up asking what they are.

I  going to try reinstalling the Realtek drivers that were suggested in the first response.

I will also take some screenshots you show you what's going on.

Thank you for your time and effort.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 29th, 2018 09:00

@Dannyboy3210 wrote:

Hello everyone,  thank you for the replies.  I work weekends and its been a busy one so I haven't had a chance to try what you've suggested yet. 

When I plug in a headset or my headphones,  they have a 4 pin 3.5mm connector (mic in and audio out). When I plugged them in,  I selected headphones/headset. Unplugging and replugging them in does not get me the same pop up asking what they are.

A couple of things.. Headphones and Headsets are different options, you can pick either one.

The Maxx Audio UI will now not normally popup when you plug in a device but assumes it is the same device.  There should be an advanced option which allows changing the device and possibly to operation of the popup.

Beyond that, good luck getting a wired microphone to work.  It seems one of the latest Windows updates has modified such possibilities.  Even my Bluetooth headphones work differently.. 

January 31st, 2018 14:00

Ok, it looks like the mic works with a headset with a dedicated microphone (Kingston Hyper X Cloud II), but I have no idea if the mic works with earbuds (with an inline mic).

I have tested talking into the mic away from the laptop and then talking right next to the laptop with the inline microphone farther away. Almost no difference so I am not sure which microphone it is using there.

As far as I can tell, it works, but it may not with earbuds?

Thank you very much for all the replies and help everyone.

1 Message

August 25th, 2018 09:00

I had the same problem. using my HyperX, the mic was not detected. I realized that Dell Audio and Maxx Audio were missing. So I went and downloaded Waves MaxxAudio. run it and now mic is working fine. 

Here the link: https://www.dell.com/support/home/hk/en/hkdhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=r70v3

Hope this can help.

1 Message

June 1st, 2020 15:00

SOLUTION!

MAXXUP IS A DEFAULT APP IN YOUR PC. IT DETERMINES WHAT KIND OF DEVICE YOU ARE PLUGGING.

SELECT "HEADSET" WHICH IS NEXT TO "HEADPHONES". IT LOOKS LIKE THE SAME OPTION, BUT IT IS NOT!

HOPE IT WORK. MUCH LOVE TO EVERYONE

March 14th, 2021 08:00

Hi, I used this option on the pop up for a while but it randomly stopped popping up. I’m using hyper x cloud, and in sound properties it doesn’t detect my headset as a recording device, I’m showing disabled devices.

March 14th, 2021 08:00

Hi, I have a hyper x cloud stinger headset and this laptop. The pop up that asked what I just plugged in stopped popping up and I’m not sure why. My pc doesn’t seem to detect the mic but it detects the headset as a playback device. The only recording device it detects is the built in mic. I don’t think it’s the jack because it worked about a year ago, and when the pop up showed it always worked when I selected headset or microphone, but it doesn’t show anymore. Can anyone help me?

March 14th, 2021 18:00

didnt work

1 Message

December 27th, 2021 09:00

Exact same issue :(, any updates on this?

December 27th, 2021 09:00

reinstall realtek drivers for your pc, this worked for me.

No Events found!