Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2018 06:00

Inspiron 15-7570, ethernet port broken

Hi, I recently bought the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 and yesterday I think I broke my ethernet port accidentally (I don't know how) but now my ethernet cable doesn't stay in anymore (if the cable would stay in its place it would work), does anyone know if this falls into the guarantee policy?

1 Message

December 15th, 2019 08:00

I have had the same issue with my Inspiron 15 7000. I believe this is a design floor as the item in question looks like a cheap bit of plastic. I have looked at my other Dell which I use for business and the same piece is more robust. I have contacted Currys "Team Know How" and there not interested.  I know I can still use my laptop via wifi but its the principle why should I have to pay additional money for a USB-Ethernet adapter.  I'm continuing to force the issue with Team Know How and Dell.

1/3/20 = Apologies for the delay in replying. I can confirm that the fix for my Dell has gone smoothly and is now all fixed. I noted the part is of a more robust material.

10 Elder

• 

24.1K Posts

November 25th, 2018 07:00

Try another cable first - if that doesn't solve the issue, you can try calling for repair -- but expect to be told it's accidental damage, not covered by the warranty unless you have purchased Complete Care insurance for the system. If it's not covered, it'll be much cheaper to buy a $30 or less USB Ethernet adapter than it will be to pay for a replacement motherboard (expect that to run well over $400).

1 Message

March 24th, 2019 03:00

Mine broke too. First the spring popped without any reason and with normal use plugging in RJ45 Etherent cables. Then the little cheap piece of plastic designed like a hings snaps because the spring popped out and there is nothing holding the cable into the port. It's a very bad MECHANICAL design. Is Dell going to fix this? There is nothing wrong with the port electrically and you 'should not have to change the motherboard'.  It's a POOR DESIGN ISSUE.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 24th, 2019 08:00

As far as I know, there is no "spring" involved in holding the connector in the port except the little tab which snaps up when inserted to hold the plug in place.  If that is not high enough to engage then it will not be able to do its job.  I have had a few of those, which after time, were bent down and no longer engaged.  I used a little heat to get the plastic to raise the tab so it would engage.  But it is easy to break those off and you would need a new plug or a new cable. There are wires inside the port which are spring loaded to maintain the contact while the plug is inserted, is that what you are referring to?

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

March 24th, 2019 08:00

NEVER seen a spring anywhere on a Ethernet port on any model PC.

2 Posts

April 1st, 2019 08:00

Hi, did you contact DELL about the issue? and if so how did it work out?

1 Message

September 18th, 2019 04:00

Hi people,

I have problem with broken Ethernet port in my Dell Inspiron 5570. This cap ("spring") is very tiny and fragile, it got broken after several days of use. I never experienced such problem with my several previous laptops.

Any possible solution? Can this cap be ordered and replaced by some way?

Thanks

IMG_20190918_125539.jpg

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 18th, 2019 07:00

As soon as your attachment becomes viewable by the group, we will check it.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 18th, 2019 17:00

It looks like the basic structure broke.  I do not see any springs but it looks like if the cable was pulled in a certain direction, it might be suceptable to breaking.  On my system the part of yours that broke is part of my basic case and not separated like yours appears to be.

I suppose the bottom line is the port is probably soldered to your motherboard unless there is a daughter card you could replace.  The best thing for you to do is go to the downloads section and look in the documents for a service manual that would give you visual evidence of how the port is attached.

If you can't get it replaced, you might move to a USB ethernet adapter which my smaller systems have since there is no ethernet port on them.

No Events found!