Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

5 Posts

July 21st, 2020 11:00

Impossible to Install Windows 10 - Dell Inspiron 15 7567

Greetings.

A friend lent me a Dell Inspiron 15 7567 with Ubuntu installed, he wishes to install Windows 10 on it.

I've tried everything at my disposal to try to boot into Windows, but I still have no luck, every time I try I just receive a black screen, blue screen or it cycles infinitely.

This is the list of things I have tried:

1. Download ISO and make bootable USB with Rufus.
  2. Use Media Creation Tool from Windows to create bootable USB.
  3. I made a clean install of Windows on another laptop and tried to boot the HDD on the Dell Inspiron, and I only got an "Unable to Boot" error.
  4. I have tried 3 USB's so far, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB. Even one I bought brand new out of the shop just for this.
  5. I have removed the battery and charger, and pressed the power button 15 seconds.
  6. I removed the CMOS battery, left it 5 minutes, put it back and it restored the BIOS settings, but still no luck.

What I want to try now, is making a bootable USB with the Dell USB Recovery Tool, but the installer is not working, I keep getting the "ISO corrupted or damaged" error everytime I try to download it from there.

I was also thinking on downgrading the BIOS to an older version, but I haven't found a decent guide to help me do it.

Anyone has any idea on what's going on? Or another suggestion on what could I do? This thing is kind of driving me crazy the last 2 days.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 21st, 2020 11:00

Not sure if you already tried this-- You must do a clean install on the computer that has the Ubuntu operating system already installed. A clean install requires the selection of a Custom install after booting to the installation media made with the Create Media Tool--NOT using Rufus. Then the partition with the operating system must be deleted first before installing windows on the unallocated partition that was created when the partition was deleted. 

You should check Disk Management ahead of time to see which partition has the Ubuntu operating system so the correct one can be selected. 

Note that Ubuntu will require the purchase of a new license for windows 10 unless it was installed and activated before the change to Ubuntu.

5 Posts

July 21st, 2020 12:00

@Mary G  Thanks for the reply.

But I am not even able to boot to the menu that allows me custom install to manage disk partitions.

I have, however, with a Linux live USB, formatted and cleaned the SSD drive. Left it as unallocated disk or fat32 and still no luck.

Also on the other laptop I installed Windows with a bootable USB, was able to show the boot screen of installation even without a HDD or SDD. Here on the Dell I am not even able to get that screen.

No Events found!