Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2018 08:00

Dell 5559 crucial MX500 1TB ssd upgrade issue

I am in the process of trying to upgrade my Dell 5559 OEM 1TB HDD to Crucial MX500 1TB SSD.  I've cloned the HDD to SSD by using Acronis True Image software. This is part where the problem begin.  After take out the HDD  and put in the SSD and power on laptop.  The laptop get error hard drive - not install. I have disable secure boot and UEFI, then enable legacy ROM. Still getting the same error, so I take out SSD and putting in HDD back in with same result. I even try fresh Window 10 install with new SSD but hard - not install error again.  Is it possible that the Hard Drive Connector & Cable H5G06 gone bad? I've confirmed that SSD cloned from HDD is working by connecting to another computer.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 06:00

Sounds right - but if that doesn't work, it's the mainboard connector that's bad. 

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2018 06:00

Okay, I'll try buying new Sata connector. The SATA connector is Dell Inspiron 5558 5559 Hard Drive Connector & Cable H5G06 correct?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

August 12th, 2018 08:00

You need to leave the system in the same mode it was when you cloned the drive - probably secure boot on, legacy off.

First thing to check:  is the drive recognized by the system's UEFI setup?  F2 at powerup.  If it doesn't show up, note that this system is designed for a 9.5 mm drive - your SSD is probably 7 mm in height.  You may need to use a shim/spacer to install the slimmer drive, such that the drive lines up with the SATA connectors on the mainboard.  If the setup does not see the drive, the system won't boot from it.

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/EDGE-7mm-9-5mm-Spacer-Adapter/dp/B014LQM6I2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534088217&sr=8-2&keywords=7mm+drive+spacer

If the system DOES see the drive, make sure you reset the system to secure boot ON, legacy OFF, and that the version of Acronis you used to do the cloning supports Windows 10 (older versions did not).  You might also want to try Macrium Reflect, which will work seamlessly to clone the old drive to the new one.

3 Posts

August 19th, 2018 18:00

I put the spacer that came with SSD and that did not help. I have turn secure on and the laptop still does not recognize  either the SSD or the OEM HDD. For the Acronis True Image version is 22.0.11080.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

August 20th, 2018 12:00

If what you're saying is that the system setup (F2 at powerup) recognizes neither drive -- that means you have a bad SATA connector on the mainboard.

1 Message

April 30th, 2019 08:00

Did getting a new connector fix your issue? I have the same laptop and the same problem so I was just wondering if you fixed it

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

June 8th, 2024 00:26

I had an old dell laptop d830, didn't recognize SSD, but did start recognizing it after I formatted it in a different computer first...not even windows could see it, nor the BIOS.  Weird.  In windows I did a diskpart clean as well...

No Events found!