Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

January 29th, 2018 17:00

Upgrading inspiron 620 - Video Card

Help, I have a Windows 10 64x, Processor i5-2310 CPU, 300w power source, Intel(R) HD Graphics, Inspiron 620 pc, and I want to upgrade my PC's video card. What is the best video card I can get with these limitations? BTW: I have a tower if that helps.

January 29th, 2018 17:00

I'm going to use it for gaming if that helps, games that would go like 1 fps like rust or fortnight and PUBG or Ark.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 30th, 2018 04:00

Depends on 620S vs 620 Mini tower. The 620S slim desktop is extremely limited. Low Profile GTX1030 will fit in either system.  The Tower can use the Zotac GTX 1050TI Mini. (ZT-P10510A-10L) Either case MUST BE a short card.  Unfortunately All cards are getting crazy overpriced due to crypto currency mining.  $139 GTX 1050 TI cards are now over $250 combined with ram prices spiking for GDDR5.

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GV-N1030D5-2GL-Computer-Graphics/dp/B071DY2VJR

GTX1030

31 Posts

June 20th, 2019 09:00

I have an Inspiron 620 windows 7 desktop tower from 2011 that is running fine, everything is stock except 8MB memory, never given me a moments trouble. I have a new display that is 2560x1440 that is being driven via HDMI and is operating normally at 30Hz, this calls for a graphics clock speed about 140MHz. I would prefer to operate at 60Hz which the display will do but it seems the 620 will not, at least not in the stock form it is now. I am doing general purpose and photo work, no gaming or video, so I don't need a big step up, I need to get to about 240MHz clock speed. Do I need a graphics card? There are 3 small and 1 16 size slots in the MB. I have a strong preference for (very) low noise fans so I want to avoid if possible the mega-turbo game graphics cards because of increased fan noise. What is my best method?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 20th, 2019 09:00

These are very old and do not support UEFI.

GT1030 would be recommendation.

31 Posts

June 21st, 2019 13:00

Thank you, that seems to cover my needs, I shall order one.

31 Posts

July 22nd, 2019 11:00

The video card finally arrived, it is PNY NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 1030 2GB, supplied by Dell. Now I have a question about installation and setup, which might be within my limited capabilities. The machine is a INSPIRON 620 made in 2011 running Windows 7 and is trouble free, but I want to operate at a faster display refresh rate for picture editing. I looked at the 620 setup screen and while there are options here for enabling and disabling on-board options for two LAN systems and one audio system I see no option for enabling or disabling the on-board video graphic system. Perhaps the system automatically recognizes the new card and configures itself? I am unsure how to proceed. I wish to avoid getting into the unpleasant situation of having a PC on my hands with a display that doesn't work. Is this a job for my local PC shop perhaps? Looking for advice here.

31 Posts

July 22nd, 2019 12:00

Thank you that answers my question, now I feel confident about tackling the job myself.

Regarding Windows 7, yes I'm aware of the MS policy and am weighing my options. Windows 7 suits my purpose very well, I don't need the changes introduced to the OS and GUI in W10, and I like W7 and am familiar with it, and I am a little discouraged from changing to W10 by reports from users unhappy about poor quality of integration of some non-MS software with W10, most of my installed programs are non-MS and are running fine right now and I wish that to continue.

Regarding internet use with W7 after Jan 2020 I imagine there are a gazillion folks out there like me who are shopping for third-party internet security software for W7. This encourages me to believe that I will be able to find a third-party program to replace MS security essentials. If you believe this not to be the case please say more because I still have time to make choices.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 12:00

Installing a discrete card automatically disables the onboard video. If you ever want to go back to onboard video, remove the new card. 

You should know that windows 7 is scheduled to be unsupported by Microsoft on Jan 14 2020. It should not be used on the Internet after that. Consider replacing the old computer by then.

31 Posts

September 12th, 2019 06:00

I went with the GT 1030 card and I was pleasantly surprised when the installation went smoothly, following the hardware installation all I had to do was go to the invidia website for the latest drivers. Because the machine is 9 years old and running W7 I expected incompatibility problems but everything went smoothly without a hitch, wonderful I could not have got this done without the great help from folks here on the forum, I thank you all.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 12th, 2019 06:00

If you have Windows 7 COA KEY sticker on the machine you can upgrade to Non supported WINDOWS 10 for a very reasonable price.

Windows 7 is End of Life in JAN 2019

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-32-350-238

You install using the "I do not have a key" option and choose HOME or PRO depending on the version of your COA and you are set.

You then load OEM drivers for Chipset and Audio for windows 7 and everything works.

That combined with your new GT1030 should make your machine viable for 5 or more years from now.

DescriptionDownload
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility
This package provides the Intel H61 Chipset Software Installation Utility and is supported on Inspiron Desktop 620 and Vostro Desktop 260/260S that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7.More details

DescriptionDownload
Dell Wireless 1502 WLAN Driver
This package provides the driver for the Atheros Wireless 1502 WLAN Mini Card and is supported on the Vostron 260, 260s and Inspiron 620 and 620s running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 7More details

• DescriptionDownload
    Creative Labs PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Application
    This package provides the Creative Labs PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Application and is supported on Alienware Desktop AURORA-R4, Inspiron Desktop 660/620/620S, Vostro Desktop 470/460 and XPS Desktop 8300 that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Vista and Windows 7.More details

DescriptionDownload
    Conexant CX20641/CX20651 Audio Driver
    This package provides Conexant CX20641/CX20651 Audio Driver and is supported on Inspiron Desktop 620 and Vostro Desktop 260/260S that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: Vista and Windows 7.More details

2.5K Posts

September 12th, 2019 07:00

windows 10 might  run ok, 

but why wonder this, learn to test W10?

buy a used $20 SSD and stuff it in and fresh install w10 for free, and for 30 long days all free.

then test those  unstated pesky apps,.  see if they run, I bet they do but , onlY TESTING finds truth.

100,000 apps in the wild or 10x more IDK but test them. (can you name one ? )

more w10 worries?

if you don't like the w10 start button, run stardoc start 10,  ($5 cost) or get windows classic sheel, for FREE, and do as you want there.

what apps you got that rumors told you fail in w10, name one or all, and get answers, others like me have vast apps running on w10, even office 2007 runs perfectly. as do well endless things, even my old PSP7 , 2 decades old runs perfect.

16 bit apps are dead , you know that,

most 32bit apps run,  but best is to test them after all many 32bit apps had ,20 versions and sure some may not run, ,

also learn this.

to install some APPS 32, one can do this, l right click the setup.exe for unstated app.

and pick properties then click compatibility tab and you  see  my drift right?

or pick compatibility trouble shooter.

w7 , you can run AVG or Eset  the 2 best A./V in my opinion. IMO

never avast eva.

2.5K Posts

September 12th, 2019 07:00

ted are you  hyjacking OP post? yes?  , why do that, please start your own post, if in USA 60hz vert, refresh is STD.

I guess

( does not get help here. just Ted)? 

if that fails your video driver is WRONG>

end story, and what card works in you PC , well vast do in fact,

endless vast numbers of cards work in a pc if it fits. only power matters after FIT.

even new cards work in this PC.

what matters to you I bet is what monitor you have now, and if needed DP port or HDMI performance.

IDK

ted no GPU card stated by you if you have one nor what monitor you have now, and what ports it has and which one you want to use, all those matter

but 30Hz is big time wrong, that is for sure, wrong driver or you GPU.

I will now answer the OP

the answer is, vast cards that physically fit work , if you keep power low. Even GTX1050 some can fit. Cards come on lots of lengths and heights  and power and 1,2,3, fans,  and more.  but the best thing is tell what you need the new card for,, name one thing you dont like about APPLICATION X (a game or what)  what you need for what is not known at all. (performance wise)
No Events found!