Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

Z

4 Posts

May 5th, 2021 22:00

Setting boot drive as NVMe M.2 ssd 970 evo samsung BIOS wont let me select it as Boot drive

hi is there any way to set my new SSD 970 EVO as my boots drive?

i can see it in my drive menu in the BIOS but i cannot set it as first boot drive in the boot sequence. Also i have trouble cloning my OS on the SSD, i can use it as storage but for some reason the Samsung Data Migration service dosent recognize my SSD and i cant use macrium because it tells me that i cannot clone from my HDD 512 sector byte to a 4k sector byte. I also tryed to reinstal Window 10 on the SSD but it didnt work since i could not use it as first boot drive.

i had to switch from RAID mode to AHCI in the BIOS so i could update the driver of my SSD.

After trying to find a solution for the past week i decided to stop and ask here.

Thank you in advance my setup is :

DELL G5 5000

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

May 6th, 2021 15:00

Samsung software/drivers don't play nicely when BIOS is set to RAID.

We need more info:

1. How did you change BIOS to AHCI? You just can't change BIOS without preparing Win 10 for the change first. Otherwise it won't boot.

2. What was the OS on originally, an SSD or a HDD?

3. If the OS was on a HDD, did you unplug it from the SATA port on the motherboard before attempting to boot from the new SSD (with Win 10 on it)?

4. Have you tried booting from the new SSD via the F12 boot menu?

5. You don't want to change the boot sequence in BIOS, except to make sure that Windows Boot Manager is first on the boot list, not the SSD.

6. Have you tried imaging, instead of cloning, the "source" drive using Macrium and saving it on an external HDD. And then use Macrium to move that image onto the new SSD?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 6th, 2021 17:00

Bios is not a boot selector/manager.

The BCD must be for ONLY the 970

Samsung 970 drives in particular do not conform to windows AHCI so they have their OWN driver for M2.

Cloning is not supported by  Dell or Microsoft.

This has been the policy since windows NT in 1995.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/backup-and-storage/windows-installations-disk-duplication#

This driver supports Samsung NVMe™ SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO and 950 PRO.

NVMe™ Driver Installation Guide

* Notice : The driver supports Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Recommended minimum system configuration is Intel Haswell Refresh Processor, 2GB RAM, 50MB free disk space and UEFI Bios v2.3.
* secure boot OFF for installation

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

May 7th, 2021 16:00

@Ziggurath_8  - Are you saying the OS is on both the new SSD and on the HDD now? If OS files are still on the HDD, that's confusing Window Boot Manager so it boots from the HDD.  NOTE: If Windows Boot Manager isn't first on the list of boot options, make it so...

Confirm the PC can boot from the new SSD via the F12 boot menu.  Assuming it runs correctly after booting from the SSD, you should open Disk Management in Win 10 and initialize the HDD - ALL FILES WILL BE DELETED!*

After the HDD is initialized, restart Win 10 normally and it should boot from the new SSD, and the HDD can now be used for routine storage.

*If you haven't already done it, I encourage you to image the HDD with something like Macrium Reflect (free) and save that image on an external USB drive before you initialize the HDD, to be safe.

After you initialize the HDD, you can use Macrium Reflect to "mount" the image saved on the USB drive and assign a drive letter so you can copy all your personal files/folders out of the image and onto the initialized (empty) HDD. Don't copy any Windows or app files from the image onto the HDD.

And then Move Win 10 default folders onto the HDD so you don't use space on the SSD.

May 7th, 2021 21:00

Ok so now i got to install win 10 on the m.2 ssd with dell os recovery tool but it still dosent show anywhere as an option in the bios boot sequence and also in the f12 boot manager what do i do from there, i am starting to loose hope! It only show:

windows boot manager

UEFI: Wdc (my HHD)

Onboard NIC (IPV4)

Onboard NIC (IPV6) 

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

May 8th, 2021 12:00

Why don't you just clone the existing HDD onto the new SSD? You can use Macrium Reflect (free). That way you won't have to reinstall all your apps again. Then use the F12 menu to boot from the SSD to make sure it works. And then you can initialize the HDD for storage. (See my post above.)

Otherwise, download the latest Win 10 ISO file (free) directly from Microsoft. That way you get the most recent version. Follow the instructions on that page to create a bootable USB stick. 

Next, disconnect the existing HDD from the motherboard. Then, with PC still powered off, plug the USB stick into the PC, power on and look on the F12 for option to boot from USB and follow the prompts. When you're sure it boots from the new SSD, you can re-connect the HDD, you will have to boot from SSD via F12 menu this time, and initialize the HDD for storage.

May 11th, 2021 10:00

SOLVED

I updated the bios drivers and it worked like a glove after !

No Events found!