Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 12th, 2018 12:00

Inspiron 5675, power cable error message

Hello, I recently moved my Inspiron 5675 into a new case. The power switch cable for the new case was different then what came with my Dell. The new case has 6 holes divided between power switch, HDD lights, and LED lights (2 each). The Dell cable was 5 holes on one plug with no labels. The motherboard connector has 5 pins. 

I plugged the power switch connector for the new case into 2 of the 5 pins on the motherboard, and it is working fine. The only problem is that every time I start up I get the following error:

Error Code: 2000-0716

Cables: Check the following cable. (Power Button) cable disconnected/failed

Once I hit “continue” the boot sequence continues and Windows starts up. Is there a way to get rid of this message permanently? Is there any kind of patch cable that would allow the new case to connect to the Dell motherboard?  I know Dell doesn't release all info, and I haven't been able to find an adapter cable yet.  Thanks so much!

10 Elder

• 

24.5K Posts

February 12th, 2018 14:00

There's no way to suppress the error, no - and short of connecting the Dell power switch (or reverse engineering it and constructing a workalike), no way to clear it that way, either.

2 Posts

February 12th, 2018 15:00

Dang. Any idea what triggers the error? Currently not all the pins have something plug in which I thought might do it. Didn't think it could tell that it's actually a different cable

1 Message

March 22nd, 2018 18:00

I created a DIY adapter by cutting the wire that connected the power button (on the dell case, since I was done with it) and stripping the wires, then pluggin them into the "standard" front panel sockets of my new case. This was a huge pain in the butt, but I was able to accomplish it. I do not recommend it, but if you are like me and bought a new case without realizing that Dell uses their own nonstandard Mobo design:

The connector pins look like this:

x 4 5

1 2 3

And they mean this:

1 is LED +

4 is LED -

2 and 3 you must bridge permanently

connect (2+3) and 5 are the power + & - (I don't think side matters)

Of course, once you get past this power cable error you may be in for more. I personally didn't have a rear fan in, and this caused me to get another error (though the front fan pins worked fine). I'll be buying an extension fan cable so I can reach the rear fan pins and finally be boot error free.

To anyone else, I do not recommend going this route. Just buy a new standard Mobo.

April 18th, 2019 13:00

Hey AutoBotz I recently upgraded my standard Dell I5676 case to a Corsair 275R for more room and cooling options.  I am now getting an error code upon startup stating that a cable is not connected properly.  I'm guessing this is the same issue you guys spoke about a while ago?  Was there any tips to eliminate that error from popping up without having to buy a new mobo?  Before/AfterBefore/After

July 28th, 2019 18:00

Thanks AutoBotZ. Huge thanks for the post.

I just tried this out on my Dell 5676. I can confirm that the power switch can be replaced by combining the 2 & 3 pins then connecting them to the standard case switch with the number 5 pin. The LED + and - are correct too. 

I created my splice using a Foxnovo Breadboard Jumper Wires 1 pin 10CM Male to Female Jumper Cable that I ordered from Amazon. 

Nice to get rid of the old Dell power switch hanging out the side of my new mid sized case.

Solved the incompatible audio front panel by dropping in an old PCIe sound card and plugging the front jack into that. 

PS Running a 850W power supply to feed the three 3.5 inch HDs and two 2.5 SSDs

No Events found!