Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2003 15:00

run time error '6' overflow

Every time I turn on my computer (Dimension 2100, windows XP) I get the run time error '6'.  I close the message window and my computer goes to work. However, I do think it is slowing my machine down.

I searched through the message board and could find nothing that relates exactly to my problem. can you help?

Additionally, I found the forum a little hard to navigate. Will I be notified when someone has responded to my posting or do I just try to find my way back?

Thank you,

Staciewood2003@yahoo.com

1.1K Posts

October 30th, 2003 16:00

Stacie wood,

There are many runtime errors but no specific mention of an error 6. You should post this to the windows XP board for best response to this issue. Or you can go to the microsoft knowledge base and read the runtime error message information for windows XP to try to resolve this problem.

18.8K Posts

October 30th, 2003 20:00

Stacie wood,

If the error occurs on bootup it is being caused by an application which loads at start. Go to Start|Run, type msconfig and click OK. Take a look at what is checked on your Startup tab. You can uncheck the items one at a time and reboot until the error no longer appears to identify the cause of the error. If you take a look at the third link under my signature (and the link at that location to Pac's Portal) you will find a list of the items which may be on your startup tab and what each of them does. If you uncheck items you will see a prompt at startup telling you that you are using Selective Startup. You can check the box to tell Windows not to notify you of that fact to prevent it from coming up every time you start.

As far as knowing when someone has answered your posts, on the "Reply to Message" screen after you have entered the text of your message you can check the box at the bottom "E-mail me if someone replies to this." You can also, after you have posted your question, click Message Options and select to either add the message to your favorites or add the thread to your favorites. When you return to the forum, click the Favorite link in the drop-down menu to select a conference and all of your favorites will be displayed along with an indication of how many posts have been added since you last visited. You may find my Newbie's Guide (link below my signature) helpful in understanding how the forum operates.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 31st, 2003 11:00

DataExport/DLL Translating

Run-time error'6'
Overflow

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=171837

FIX: Run-time Error 6 "Overflow When Compiled to Native Code"
View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q171837
SYMPTOMS
The following error may occur when the if expression uses Byte data type:

"Run-time error '6'. Overflow."
CAUSE
Visual Basic does not evaluate Byte data type correctly in the if expression when compiled to Native code with optimizations.
RESOLUTION
Install Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2 (SP2). The problem can also be addressed by compiling to P-code, compiling to Native Code with no optimizations, or using a data type other than the byte data type in the if expression.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This bug has been fixed in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2.

For more information on the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=170365
 : INFO: Visual Studio 97 Service Packs - What, Where, and Why

For a list of the Visual Basic 5.0 bugs that were fixed in the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=171554
INFO: Visual Basic 5.0 Fixes in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2

MORE INFORMATION
The following code (known as the "Triangle Inequality") will run as expected in the Visual Basic IDE or compiled as P-code but will fail when compiled as a Native EXE file with optimizations.

Steps to Reproduce Behavior
Start a New Standard EXE project. Form1 is created by default.
In the General Declarations section of Form1, place the following code:       Sub Checksides (a as Byte, b as Byte, c as Byte)

If (c > a + b) or (a > b + c) or (b > a + c) then
              MsgBox "Not a triangle"
          Else
              MsgBox "Triangle"
          End If

End Sub

In the Form_Load() event of Form1, place the following code:       Private Sub Form_Load()
        CheckSides 1,1,1
        End
      End sub

Select Project Properties from the Project menu. Open the Compile tab and make sure the project is set to compile to Native Code with some sort of optimization selected, such as Optimize for fast code.
Select Make Project1.exe from the File Menu.
Execute the Project1.exe file.
This will produce the error message "Run-time error 6. OverFlow."

No Events found!