Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 19th, 2010 06:00

flashing amber power button

Help!!! I can not power up my computer. I have a Dell Dimension that is over 3 years old. I didn't change anything but when I came in to use my computer the power button was flashing in an amber colour.  It will not go green and turn the computer on. If I hold the power button for 5 seconds it will turn off completely, but it will not turn back on. When I try to turn it back on, it goes back to flashing amber. I have disconnected the power and reconnected. I have removed the printer and the scanner. I don't know what it means when the power button is flashing nor what to do about it. Please help. I really need to access my computer!!!

March 23rd, 2010 13:00

True, I am not from the USA. I am in Canada...and yes, we spell "colour" with a "u" here. Wow, you are observant!

I wanted to say that my computer is FIXED!

I replaced my power supply unit with a Thermaltake TR2 430 W. It is a bit smaller, physically, than the previous Dell model so I have a 1 cm space but I was able to get it by the next day and I needed my computer urgently.

Problem solved guys! Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 19th, 2010 06:00

We can't directly answer your question without the actual PC Model Number.

However, on many Dell's, such as the Dimension E510/5150 models, a flashing amber power light indicates a power supply failure. 

March 19th, 2010 07:00

Dimension 9150....

power supply is just a problem with WHERE I plug the computer in to the electricity? or with the power cord itself? or with the inside of the computer that controls to power?

If it is inside the computer, how many $$$ are we looking at (approximately) to replace the defective part? Does it affect any data saved on the hard drive?

6 Posts

March 19th, 2010 08:00

The Power supply is inside you computer it is a sealed box, that is indeed to you power cord.

you can order a new one from Dell, (if under warranty) or look on ebay and get one there...

it is a simple procedure to change it if you know what your doing, if not, then best let someone else fix it (technician) as replacement of a power supply requires cabling knowledge (as to where they go etc)

gluck

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 19th, 2010 09:00

The issue is most likely the power supply itself within the case. A "No Power/ No Post" which you are experiencing, is one of three component areas. Troubleshooting this is relatively easy. If you ever played with Legos as a child, you are overqualified :P

If you are comfortable with it, here is the service manual link: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9150/en/sm/parts.htm#wp1058068

You would normally disconnect the hard drive(s) and optical (CD/ DVD) drives, remove the ram, and try to power it up. If it is still amber, then it's either the motherboard or power supply. A good Dell tech will dispatch service for both. If you are no comfortable with these steps and are under warranty, call in and tell them "I have a no power/ no post with a solid amber".

You can also follow this: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&docid=715E6659A4051AFAE040AE0AB7E10D59&journalid=82135D7CD313E3A7E040AC0A66E93642&Query=bm8rcG9zdA==&SystemID=XPS/DIMENSION+400/9150&ServiceTag=&contenttype=-1&os=-1&component=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false

It's almost the same as the tool they will use for troubleshooting your issue.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 19th, 2010 12:00

Or you can get a Dell OEM 375W psu for the 9150 here, for $45 including shipping.

Ron

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 19th, 2010 12:00

The 9150 is a BTX style case and motherboard but it uses a standard ATX style power supply, it's not a Dell custom model.  The original Dell power supply is a 375 watt power supply.  Replace with at least a 450 watt model.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 19th, 2010 13:00

Ron, the user appears to be British or at least not US as I noticed the spelling of "colour" rather than the US "color". 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2010 15:00

Glad to hear it's working. 

I have many Canadian "snowbirds" friends here in Florida and didn't know it's spelled that way in Canada, "eh"?

He had referenced a US company and I wasn't sure if that company shipped outside the US.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2010 18:00

I'm glad it's fixed too.

Ascendtech.us will actually ship outside the US,but you have to contact them directly by phone or fax for pricing and shipping outside the US. Their prices typically include shipping costs within the US, but I'm pretty sure our northern provinces wouldn't be a problem for them.  :emotion-4:

I also noticed you spelled "color" incorrectly, but with so many people living in so many odd places these days, spelling is no longer a valid clue to your actual address. I can think of at least one other forum member who can't spell that word correctly either, but she lives in Texas.

Ron

1 Message

April 11th, 2011 15:00

I have a XPS 400 and I am having the same problem.  So, what do I need to purchase?

Thanks for your help,

Lara

2 Posts

May 14th, 2014 01:00

Help!!! I can not power up my computer. I have a Dell Dimension that is over 3 years old. I didn't change anything but when I came in to use my computer the power button was flashing in an amber colour.  It will not go green and turn the computer on. If I hold the power button for 5 seconds it will turn off completely, but it will not turn back on. When I try to turn it back on, it goes back to flashing amber. I have disconnected the power and reconnected. I have removed the printer and the scanner. I don't know what it means when the power button is flashing nor what to do about it. Please help. I really need to access my computer!!!

2 Posts

May 14th, 2014 01:00

my dell pc blinking power button yellow light

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 14th, 2014 12:00

vijeshvish - This is a very old thread. Please start a new thread about your problem. And be sure to include the exact PC model number and the version of Windows you're using.

No Events found!