Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 1st, 2007 01:00

What does BIN +1 Overclock mean on my new system?

Hi there, I apologize in advance for the newbie question. When I just purchased my XPS 720 with E6700 processor from the Dell Outlet, one of the selling points of this particular system was a "BIN +1 overclock". I received my system today, and there is no overclock whatsover as everything appears to be running at standard speeds. I followed the directions in the XPS FAQ where I looked under Bios > Performance >Advanced = in this section I am only able to toggle on or off a switch to allow third party programs. So I am curious what BIN +1 was to represent, as it seems that all 720s have this toggle and I apparently erroneously thought I was receiving a factory overclock system based on this being in my purchase/order forms. Any help is much appreciated. I just want to make sure I got what I paid for here.. Thanks!

1.3K Posts

December 1st, 2007 02:00

If your system was in any advertised with an overclock, it is a blatant lie (whether or intentional or not, I don't care). The E series processors are not overclocked by Dell. I would call customer care and ask what is going on because something SERIOUS is amiss.

EDIT: BTW - Do you have any screenshots of the BIN+1 description? Or a screenshot of the system details? 

Message Edited by cademetz on 11-30-2007 11:51 PM

5 Posts

December 1st, 2007 03:00

Yikes, that isn't what I was hoping to hear... When I clicked the PC in Dell outlet, this is one of the things that made me decide on this particular system rather than one of the others available at that time. It clearly stated "BIN +1 OVERCLOCK" in the list of options of the PC.
This is from my "Dell Order Has Been Acknowledged for Dell Purchase ID: 20001354XXX" email:
XPS 720 Tower: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 (4MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB) Black Chassis
Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate 1
$ XPS 720 Tower: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 (4MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB)
Black Chassis Certified Refurbished
No Speakers
Dell Optical USB 2-button Mouse
Label
160 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM) No Raid
768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate Operating System
Label Shipping Material
2 GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)
16X DVD-ROM Drive and 16X DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer writer capable
56K DataFax Modem
AOL Software Documentation
Audio Jacks For X-Fi Sound Card
Microsoft Works 8.5 Operating System CD
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (D) Sound Card
Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader
48X CD RW/DVD Combo Drive
USB Keyboard
Roxio Creator LE
Image Restore Software
Resource CD
BIN + 1 Overclock

and this is from my "Dell Order Has Been Confirmed for Dell Purchase ID: 20001354XXX" email:
1 XPS 720 Tower:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 (4MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB) Black Chassis 1
Certified Refurbished 1
No Speakers 1
Dell Optical USB 2-button Mouse 1
Label 1
160 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM) 1
No Raid 1 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 1
Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate 1
Operating System Label 1
Shipping Material 1
2 GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs) 1
16X DVD-ROM Drive and 16X DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer writer capable 1
56K DataFax Modem 1
AOL Software Documentation 1
Audio Jacks For X-Fi Sound Card 1
Microsoft Works 8.5 1
Operating System CD 1
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (D) Sound Card 1
Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader 1
48X CD RW/DVD Combo Drive 1
USB Keyboard 1
Roxio Creator LE 1
Image Restore Software 1
Resource CD 1
BIN + 1 Overclock 1
XPS 720 STD: 1 Yr Ltd Warranty and On-site Service

And when I look back through my account at the order details, this is listed as one of my components:
1 YR326 Module,Information,Extreme Performance System,Processor OVER-CLK,+1 $0.01

Now this is not my first Dell PC, but I certainly bought this under the presumption that it was factory overclocked based on the description in the pop up of the item # prior to purchase, and the detailed PC description I received in those 2 emails. I am saddened if it's in fact a typo or mistake, as I would have chosen a different processor if not for this listing containing the BIN +1 overclock option. Thanks for your help. I'm not sure what recourse Dell will provide, but I sure dread the thought of boxing up this monstrosity in it's 72LB package it arrived in today. Message Edited by Caleb2007 on 11-30-2007 11:57 PM

Message Edited by Caleb2007 on 12-01-2007 12:27 AM

Message Edited by Caleb2007 on 12-01-2007 12:28 AM

Message Edited by Caleb2007 on 12-01-2007 12:32 AM

3.3K Posts

December 1st, 2007 07:00

The only processors that are cabable of the bios overclocks are the QX or X series extreme processors.

It looks like you should have a QX6700 in your machine. Right click on "my computer" and click properties, and see what it says after processor.
   Then if it's not the QX6700, call Dell customer svc.

Good luck

Message Edited by gdwrnch3 on 12-01-2007 04:45 AM

5 Posts

December 1st, 2007 12:00

Thanks for the advice!
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2666 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

This is the information listed under my processor details. I will make contact with Dell customer service today and see what the possible solutions here could be. Thanks for your help.

Message Edited by Caleb2007 on 12-01-2007 08:25 AM

5 Posts

December 1st, 2007 22:00

Ok, I've received my first automated response from Dell. I spoke with online Technical support who advised me to contact customer service. I did, through the "missing or incorrect items" in order section.

I am now asked what or how I would like to resolve this, prior to speaking with anyone or a response beyond the automated system. I am looking for suggestions or input on what possible solution we could reach. I really prefer not to pack the system up and send it back, so I'm hoping we can reach an agreement.

Is it appropriate to ask for a different processor to be installed? I then worry that this motherboard may not be capable of handling the better processors or the factory overclock I purchased.

Should I look at keeping the system and requesting a financial credit for the false advertising?

I've had excellent luck with my prior Dell purchases and this will be my first time needing their Tech/Customer support for something major. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

340 Posts

December 2nd, 2007 02:00

If you can get an upgraded, over-clockable CPU out of Dell, I'd certainly go for that if I were you.
Your XPS720 is certainly capable of it.

The only thing is, they did advertise the correct CPU.  You got what was advertised, but you didn't get a feature that was mis-advertised.  It's an odd mistake, but get what you can...

3.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2007 17:00

Man, thats not false advertising, thats a mistake. Some people don't make them, or think they don't, but most normal people do.
       Ask them to install the QX6700, that would be great

But do just remember, no one is perfect, and the comment about the "blatent lie" some of you guys are just too much. I make mistakes every day, so I guess I'm a blatent lier huh?
      If you guys really think that a corporation that big is gonna purposely rip someone off for a couple hundred dollar processor, you might better send it back, get a refund, and buy something elese.

Have a great day!!!

14.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2007 18:00

False advertising was what happend with the 700 release..

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2007 19:00

GDWRNCH3,

I completely agree with you that this was an error rather than an intentional misrepresentation to earn a few hundred dollars extra. I hope I did not imply that was my belief and that you were speaking to some of the other replies.

When I used the term "false advertising" in my recent reply I meant it in the most literal of senses - The PC I received was advertised as having an "Extreme Performance System,Processor OVER-CLK,+1". When I received the PC, it did not come with this component, which is where my literal use of "falsely advertised" came from. At the time of my decision making, this listed factory overclock made me choose this particular system over several other available units that were in the same price range but contained better processors.

I am fully aware that mistakes happen, and believe this to be one of those instances. I concur completely that a multibillion dollar organization would hardly intentionally misrepresent an outlet PC for increased profit.

My intention with this post originally was to see if I was overlooking the component/abilities advertised with my particular system, and then once it was discovered an error to elicit the advice of those far more experienced in these fields than I on possible reparations and how to proceed in correcting the error.

I have not heard back from Customer Service yet on the email I sent in approximately 40 hours ago. I would assume I will hear back Monday when there are more employees that may be at the level required to make a determination on resolution.

My experience with Dell in the past has been stellar, so I have no reason to think this will end in anything other than satisfaction. I'll update the thread once a resolution has been proposed.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts on this unique situation!

1.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2007 14:00

gdwrnch3 wrote:
       But do just remember, no one is perfect, and the comment about the "blatent lie" some of you guys are just too much. I make mistakes every day, so I guess I'm a blatent lier huh?

Blatant: brazenly obvious; flagrant: a blatant error in simple addition; a blatant lie.

Okay, the 'lie' part may have been a bit extreme, but since Dell clearly does not support overclocking of any non-Extreme processors, this is a grossly huge 'mistake.' It just proves even more so that apparently Dell hires far too many incompetent people or they have a serious training issue. I don't know how Dell generates the system descriptions, but any XPS Staff should know full well that the E-series processors are not overclocked by Dell -- if they don't know that, they need to trained, re-trained and trained again. So, either the system descriptions are automatically generated, meaning Dell has a very poor system to do so, or someone specifically checked a box, added a description, etc. to this particular systems description and didn't have a clue what they were doing. Furthermore, Dell should have some process in place to fact-check any system description.

Customers frequently make purchasing decisions based on the information provided by Dell. I am unaware of any 'official' independent source that a customer can query to ensure the information they recieved from Dell is acurate. The OP was lucky enough to have enough common sense to check the system specs and when something seemed amiss, post here to get some feedback.

Dell seems to have a very poor record of giving accurate information on its own systems. The XPS 420 was shown as supporting 'Yorkdale' processors when they assumingly really meant Yorkfield. This has finally been fixed, but probably only because I actually submitted feedback. ( Customers shouldn't have to be correcting Dell -- Dell should be checking their own tech spec pages). The XPS 420 is still shown as supporting 1600MHz FSB processors which the X38 does NOT support -- this is probably a typo because it does support 1066MHz FSB processors. Where's the fact checking and error checking? The XPS 420 is shown to be available with a 160GB 10,000 rpm hard drive (bascially, the Raptor) but it isn't available in the configuration pages. Here's another one, the XPS 420 is described as "ships with 2 terabytes of storage factory-installed" yet no mention that this is OPTIONAL (and at the cost of $870). The XPS 420 does not ship with 2TB of storage unless you configure the system as such. The XPS 720 is still said to have "NVIDIA Native Gigabit Ethernet*" yet the asterik doesn't seem to work, and technically, since the ethernet chip used by Dell is a Broadcom ethernet chip, I question whether or not it is fair for Dell to call it a "NVIDIA Native Gigabit Ethernet." To this day, despite numerous complaints on this forum, Dell still claims that the XPS 720, in the configuration pages, can be had with a SATA 3.0Gb/s 160GB 10,000 rpm hard drive (or in other words, a SATA 3.0Gb/s Raptor). Yet, from everything we can gather, Western Digital DOES NOT MAKE SATA 3.0Gb/s Raptors. No one is aware of any 10,000 SATA drives operating at 3.0Gb/s. Maybe, just maybe, Dell has some secret source of hard drives...  but really, what is more likely? Some incompetent employee misconfigured the page (and Dell continues to ignore the problem) or Dell has a secret source of hard drives? Seioursly...

I can go on an one with omissions, errors, etc with the Dell XPS system descriptions. Why is that these pages are so full of "mistakes?" Why isn't someone at Dell (who actually knows what a computer is) responsible for the accuracy and upkeep of the pages? I am tough on Dell because I expect more from Dell. Yet, the fact that system 'tech spec' page after system 'tech spec' page contain so many problems indicates to me that Dell does not care. That is not the attitude that Dell should have.

1.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2007 18:00

Dell may not lie about technical specifications, but the quality control over published specs is so poor (witness the litany of mistakes cademetz sites, some of which have gone uncorrected for literally years across different models [the 3.0 gbs raptor, for example]) it really amounts to the same thing.  Note, the mistakes always seem to go in the same direction, i.e., overstating the capabilities of a system.

For the OP, the real question seems to me is what did you pay for.  If you paid for an overclockable qx6700 and got an E6700 instead, you definitely need a new processor -- the cost difference is in the neighborhood of $1000.  If on the other hand you only paid for a dual core E6700 and there was just a typo on the parts list, that's a different situation.

Community Manager

• 

54.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2007 18:00

Caleb2007,

Use this Unresolved Issues form.
No Events found!