Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 14th, 2012 15:00

Upgrade Old Computer

I own an old, slow, Dimension 4550 that I would like to upgrade to a faster computer.  I am looking for advice or websites that will help me pick a new and faster microprocessor (motherboard) and other components so that I don't have to throw away an old, but slow, computer.  Please help.

113 Posts

Hi,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum.

It’s good to know that you wanted to upgrade your system and it is a smart move to upgrade the motherboard except without replacing the computer, however, we need to keep some things in mind before we do that.

1) If you are going to purchase a new motherboard, the cost involved in it is a minimum of $300.

2) Instead if you go for the new system, the price would the same along with a lot of benefits like the latest Windows 7 operating system with latest applications, faster processors like i3, i5 and i7 which are the latest ones in the market.

We do understand the attachment with the old system and I understand the emotions around it, however this is a very cost effective plan where you would be at a profit. If you have more questions please post us back and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Alaskagriz

You would better advised to buy either new, or used Core 2 Duo, or a Quad desktop., it would cost less than upgrading the Dimension 4550.

The 4550 systems use a nominally ATX motherboard, with Dell proprietary wiring, mounting, and I/O shield, plus both Dell's 'clam-shell' cases and motherboards have proprietary features and undocumented proprietary front panel wiring.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 14th, 2012 19:00

Someone years ago (2005?) posted pictures of a 4550 retrofit, but I can't find it. I think a micro-ATX will fit in the tray, but you'll have to figure out the front panel wiring. The panel sound connector is Soundblaster-type with a standard HD-type front jack.

To map out the front panel pins, you can use a $3 continuity tester available from an auto parts store. More problematic is retrofitting the front panel connector with standard Molex connectors; the parts can be had from Front-X via mail-order, but the pins are designed to be crimped with a special pair of crimping pliars. Don't believe Front-X; standard needlenose pliars won't make a good crimp, although if you're handy with a fine-tip soldering iron, you can do a first class job.

I have suggested some economy parts, including a mainboard with USB 3.0 and SATA 6gbps that you wouldn't get in a new low-end machine.

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

If you have further questions, let us know. I have successfully upgraded two older Dell cases for aftermarket mainboards, a 3000 and a 2350. Just for my own satisfaction, I bought the special criming pliars and used them to make factory-type crimps -- they worked well. I should post pictures but I don't have the pliers here with me.

No Events found!