Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 22nd, 2002 19:00

SURegCreateKey failed in ME - can't get in

Removed something from the registry of my Win ME Dimension 4100. Now, even in safe mode, the system will not start. It does a scan of the disk drive and then says 'SURegCreate Key Failed! ENum/HTree/Root/0.

I'd like to get past this and reinstall the OS, however my only option at this point (no matter whether I started up under normal, logged or safe mode) is to reset. Can I use a Win ME emergency disk from a non-Dell system (in this case a Gateway) to jumpstart my own system and get at least the desktop back up?

Let me know,

Rush
rush@rushw.com

22 Posts

January 22nd, 2002 19:00

If its just a registry issue, this will probaly work,
you can use a utility in windows call scanreg /restore, but you can only get to it from DOS, its easy, and it may save you a format and reinstall, and no you probably coudln't use the gateway cd,t hey're usally BIOS locked according to systems

Get your Dell Dimension Resource CD;
Depending upon your type of system,
you'll need to go into the BIOS, it will say on the first screen,
either Press "DEL" or press "F2" to enter setup,
press the correct key to go into the BIOS,
again depending on your system type you will have different screens,
if you had to press "DEL" to enter setup you will need press the right arrow over to the BOOT screen,
highlight what is currently the First boot device, press enter, it should bring up a menu, select the ATAPI-CD rom from the list,
it should now list the first boot device as the ATAPI cd rom,
Press the F10 key then Enter to save changes and exit

if you had to press "f2" to enter setup,
press the down arrow key until "Boot Sequence" or it may say "Boot configuration" is highlighted,
press enter,
highlight the IDE CD-ROM, then press the minus key on your numeric keypad to move it up the first one listed,
press enter,
then press ESC save changes and exit

it should reboot,
it will give you the option to
Start with CD-ROM support, if so choose that,
or it may give you several options, and if one them say "Exit to a DOS session" select that,

you should arrive at an A:/> prompt,
type

C:
it should say C:/> now
type
cd windows\command
type
scanreg /restore
it should come with a screen with a series of dates, these are prevous registries you can restore to, pick a day when your computer worked properly, then press enter,
it should restore, after it is done it will say press enter to reboot,
take out the dell dimension resource CD, then press enter, it should reboot into windows

Sir_Dude

ps- lemme know how it goes

18.8K Posts

January 22nd, 2002 20:00

roadgeek,

You should be able to use an emergency boot floppy from a Gateway system without difficulty. When you boot you will probably be an an A:\> prompt. At that prompt type C: and . That will get you to a C:\> prompt. Type CD Windows and which will get you to a C:\Windows\> prompt. Type CD Command and which will get you to a C:\Windows\Command\> prompt.

At that prompt type scanreg /restore. (There is a space between the "g" and the "/".) You will see a list of saved Registries that you can boot from. Choose one that predates your problem and boot with it. Your system should be restored.

Sorry, your browser doesn't support Java.

Are you a new computer owner, or simply new to Delltalk? You may find some helpful information on how best to use this forum here.
Want to make a hyperlink in your post, want to add a graphic or sound file, need to troubleshoot a non-working Java applet, want to build an attractive signature? These capabilities can be yours if you visit Denny's DellT@lk Tutorials.
For help in deciding what can be eliminated from your Startup list, take a look here.
Want to get rid of Network Neighborhood, change your Registered Owner name? Check out the little utilities at Delltalk Tweekz.
Ready to sign up for Web server space? Want to learn FTP? Visit Web Presence for Beginners.
For new users (or veterans who would like to help a new user), a number of basic Windows tasks are illustrated in Denny's Tutorial Viewlets.

Note: I do not answer Instant Messages but I do answer email.

Message Edited on 01/22/02 02:32PM by Denny Denham
No Events found!