Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2007 06:00

Replacing Intel 4 Socket 478 Motherboard

The VGA port on one of my computers completely broke I see nothing on the monitor
I tried Getting a cheap pci video card hoping it would come up (plug and play)
That dident work I have to turn it on In the bios so its not possible if I cant see
nothing on the screen so i guess my only option now is to replace the motherboard
so i was wondering when the motherboard gets replaced with an equivalent one
Do I have to format the HardDrive and reinstall windows? or will it just come up?
Its not a brand Name computer It was built By the Former IT Guy at my work
Its a Intel Motherboard with a socket 478 and and intel 4 cpu. Any Suggestions????
I would like to try to save it its been a great computer for years.

Thanks in advance for the help/replys

BM

intel 4, 80 GB HD, 512mb Ram

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 30th, 2007 10:00

If you use anything but the original make (Dell) and model of board, you will have to reload Windows, and you won't be able to use the Dell OEM CD if you use a non-Dell board - you'll need to buy a retail copy of Windows.

1.7K Posts

December 30th, 2007 21:00

On your non dell computer. You can open the case and look at the board and usually you'll see the brand and model. Manufacturers usually have good site where you can see if you need to move a jumper to enable a slot video card. If you think you need a video card because you don't see anything on the screen, it may be that the computer has another problem. To keep your stuff on a new motherboard, it must be the same model or very close.

40 Posts

December 31st, 2007 03:00

Hi

Thanks for all the replies
The VGA port is physically Broke I thought of trying to soldering
it but it wasn't possible. Ill check out what you said about the jumpers on the board
hopefully that will fix it there are hardly any socket 478 motherboards anymore
they are going extinct Heres the model Number of the board if anybody has any
suggestions or where i can find one I tried Google No luck Thanks Again

INTEL DESKTOP BOARD : D845GLVA

BM

Message Edited by bigggmike on 12-30-2007 11:32 PM

1.7K Posts

December 31st, 2007 11:00

It would be hard to replace the connector if you don't have a lot of experience doing it. According to Intel, there is no jumper for video but you may want to try clearing the bios and booting with the card in it. I assume your card is AGP, your other option may be to borrow a pci card to get it running, any vga pci card, the simpler the better. Here is a link to the jumpers http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845glva/sb/cs-012937.htm It should be possible to find a replacement board with the same chipset now that you know what to look for. I'd look at how difficult it would be to reinstall everything on a new motherboard pc, you may find that a low end 775 socket board and chip and ddr2 ram may be more economical than replacement board, video card and ddr ram.

1.7K Posts

December 31st, 2007 11:00

I sent you a pm

40 Posts

December 31st, 2007 22:00

HI thanks again for the reply
You mentioned clearing the bios? is that done with the monitor on
and computer running ? or is there like jumpers or something
that will do this?

thanks TR4 I sent U a PM

1.7K Posts

January 1st, 2008 18:00

As per the above instructions, with power off, you open the computer and set the jumper to configure. Then when you power on the machine, it will bring you into setup. Then you power down the computer and set back to normal
No Events found!