Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2010 05:00

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Win7 Problems

I recently upgraded our Dell Dimension 8400 from XP to Win 7 and now get a Code 43 on the NVIDIA device.  I've searched all the forums, downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA (260.99), etc.   Still Code 43, which means the card is not active.   The computer is usable, but not nearly the video speed and quality from before the upgrade.   Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thx

Dave

Community Manager

• 

54.6K Posts

December 24th, 2010 06:00

See if folllowing these instructions help.

3.7K Posts

December 24th, 2010 07:00

As per what Chris says, also Microsoft say it is a driver problem HERE, in short, 

Code 43

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Recommended resolution

One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner. 

If you have already run the Troubleshooting Wizard, you might want to check the hardware documentation for more information about diagnosing the problem.

4 Posts

December 26th, 2010 09:00

Thank you very much for the timely response and for the suggestions.  I went through the process described and still get the Code 43.   The Display resolution and response time is the same whether or not the Nvidia drivers are installed or no, which makes me believe the device is not being recognized.  Any other ideas?

Thx

Dave

270 Posts

December 27th, 2010 02:00

have you ever updated the BIOS on the computer???  i found 2 instances on the internet where a BIOS update fixed error code 43 on an old nvidia card after a windows 7 upgrade.

the last bios update dell issued was in 2006 ... version a09 ...  i dont hold out a lot of hope because its so old but its worth a try.

this link should be for dimmension 8400:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8400&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

4 Posts

December 27th, 2010 07:00

Thanks again for the helpful advice.    Before I saw the latest suggestion, I tried Chris' process again and something "took", such the video card is now active and working fine.

I'll try the bios update if we have more problems later.

Thx

Dave

1 Message

February 10th, 2011 11:00

I'm having a very similar problem, my model is an XPS Gen 4 with a Nvidia Geforce 6800 graphics card. It worked fine with an older driver (which at the moment, I can't remember the driver version) but as soon as I updated to the driver 260.99, device manager started giving me a code 43 for the graphics card. I know the card isn't shot, it worked just fine last night with an older driver.

After following those instructions didn't work, I attempted to update the BIOS (most recent version being AO7 for my computer) but it still doesn't want to work correctly.

1.7K Posts

February 10th, 2011 12:00

Updating to the newer drivers is not a good idea for older series cards.  These new drivers only benefit the newer cards.  I use an older driver myself even on my GTX 260 because there is no point in updating to one of the newer ones and your card is much older.  I would just try to roll back the driver from your Device Manager or try one of Nvidia's older archived drivers.  I think they go back to 190.38.  I use 197.45 which I have learned is the best for my card.  Any 200 series driver version is just not any good for the older cards.  

April 13th, 2011 04:00

Hello to all, 

I got an XPS17 LX701 laptop in march; since then I try to solve the issues regarding blue screen / error 43 of nvidia graphic card  

randomly blue screens occures and it was not possible to use this laptop;  I downloaded and installed the latest drivers for this geforce 435 graphic card; now the blue screens are gone, but I can not use this graphic card due to 43 error code from system device manager

Does anybody knows how I can get rid of this error? 

thank you in advance! 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 6th, 2011 13:00

You cannot use Directx 11 features on a directx9 card.

That's not going to change.

You Can try WDDM 1.0 vista drivers.

You won't get all the features.

Windows 7 uses WDDM  1.1 Drivers.

Windows Vista 32-bit RTM - NVIDIA

If you are using XP then you should unistall any Nvidia drivers and go back to VGA.

You may also need to delete any directories c:\NVIDIA\ etc.

Then install Directx 9.0c June 2010 drivers.   Extract to C:\DX90C  DO NOT EXTRACT TO DESKTOP or it will fill the screen with files.

Download details: DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

Then Run DXSETUP.EXE and Reboot.

Install XP SP3 network install  (300megs)  Reboot.

Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation ...

Then Try the 260.99 XP WHQL Drivers.

NVIDIA DRIVERS 260.99 WHQL

1 Message

February 23rd, 2017 11:00

No Events found!