Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2017 19:00

Memory Mix and Match

I have an XPS-8910 on the way from egghead.com.  The PC has the default 16gb of RAM already installed.  Is one slot filled with a single, factory 2133mhz stick or is it (2) 8gb sticks?  Can someone provide me with the specs on the supplied memory stick?

Will there be any negative side effects be experienced if the other (2) additional 16 gb sticks I purchase are from a different vendor? ie GSkill or Kingston. 

Will the new memory take a performance hit by the existence of the pre-installed 16 GB of Ram already installed?

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

January 11th, 2017 17:00

This really could vary depending on how the system was configured or if anything was changed by the vendor, but typically on this system if it has 16 GB of ram it should be from 1 slot being used, so 3 more can be added. Regardless though it might be best to check before buying the memory. On a side note I do not recommend running the system w/ 3 sticks from a different vendor or even 2 same and 2 different, it is better to run all the same brand and speed memory. The reason to not mix and match is it can adverse effects like system stability or in some cases it can make the memory run slower (this last one is probably not as much of an issue since the system is running at 2133, but it is best to run all the same).   

For example if you're looking for 64 GB of ram, buy all 4 at the same time, or buy 3 of the identical memory that is already installed. One other thing to mention on this system since it is using the Skylake chipset that it is only capable of dual channel (but uses up to 4 sticks of memory in 2x2), quad channel is reserved for Intel Haswell E processors (6 core procs)/X99 platform etc. I am not aware of the XPS line using these processors because they're typically found in some Precision workstations or Alienware Area 51 desktops.

If you end up adding only 1 more stick (for 32GB total) make sure you add it in the correct slot. Here is a thread that details this.   

Best regards,

Brad

January 11th, 2017 20:00

If I come across a good deal for four sticks of 16 gigabytes at 2400 megahertz or greater, will this damage the XPS 8910 in any way shape or form? I realize that the 2133mhz is the maximum speed that I will be able to muster.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

January 12th, 2017 09:00

As long as the memory is compatible it will be fine. You will want to run a memory test, but I know Corsair is selling some compatible memory that is clocked at 2400, and the system will just run it at 2133 which will not hurt anything. I know I have seen some cases where memory speed will run at a bit higher speed (like going from 667 to 800 during DDR2 era and it was fine since it was still within spec), but I believe on the Z170 platform that 2133 is the standard speed before overclocking so that is what I would expect to see the XPS at (like you stated).

Dell has only have tested what the system is sold with but I know other manufacturers memory typically works fine in my personal experience. You will know pretty quickly if the memory is compatible or not (based on the system turning on and posting), and can test for stability running a quick memory test.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

No Events found!