Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JL

October 10th, 2016 19:00

Inspiron 660, Logitech 9000 Pro webcam mic problems

I think this started after the Win 10 Anniversary update.

I have all the updates and the latest drivers.

This is intermittent, but I'm having the problem more often than not at this point.

When the computer is booted up, the webcam mic does not work.  The sound device window shows that the webcam mic is set to default, and enabled, but it does not react to sound.  If I disable it, then re-enable it, it will work until the next reboot.

Dell Inspiron 660

Logitech 9000 Pro webcam.

Also waiting for a reply from Logitech on this.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 11th, 2016 00:00

Logitech 9000 Pro webcam 

(M/N: V-UBM46, P/N: 861464-0000)

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/quickcam-pro-9000

It is not supported by Dell.

Generic UVC drivers do not work well with this product

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/25904

480 Posts

October 16th, 2016 23:00

It doesn't work right with either the Logitech or Microsoft drivers.

Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes the mic works but the audio is "Chipmunked"  That can be fixed by lower the sampling rate 16 Khz, but I shouldn't have to do that.  It should work at 48 khz, and sometimes it does.

There also an issue using a regular analog mic, but I post that separately.

480 Posts

November 7th, 2016 12:00

I finally found the bits and pieces I needed to make a workaround for my Logitech webcam microphone not working after the Anniversary update.   To keep my life simple, I'll just copy and paste what I posted on the Microsoft forum:

OK, I have a new workaround that is somewhat transparent, automatic and works.

I noticed over the weekend, that the mic, which is dead after booting up can not only be brought back to life by disabling/enabling it, but can also be brought back to live by making another device the default recording device, then making the webcam mic the default device again.

The really good news is that I found a free software utility at Nirsoft called Nircmd.

Nircmd allows you to write command prompt command lines to do a lot of things including setting the default sound device.   (nircmd list)

Here's the workaround that I setup:

1. Downloaded Nircmd (there is a 32 and 64 bit version).

2. Moved the unzipped nircmd.exe executable file to my C directory.

3. Put a batch file called ToggleDefaultMic.bat in my C directory.

This is the batch file code:

Rem - Toggle Recording Device
nircmd.exe setdefaultsounddevice "Stereo Mix"
nircmd.exe setdefaultsounddevice "Microphone" 

4. Put a shortcut to ToggleDefaultMic.bat in my Windows Startup Folder.

So now, when I boot up my computer, the Stereo Mix becomes the default device for an instant, then, the webcam mic becomes the default device and comes to life. 

I shouldn't have to do this but now the webcam mic works without my manual intervention.

I still think underlying problem is part of the original changes installed from the Anniversary Update that broke millions of webcams.

I hope that can help others.  Don't forget, if you have the chipmunk problem, just set the format (sampling rate) to 16khz.

No Events found!