Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2013 21:00

Inspiron 537s usb ports stay live in sleep mode

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 537s with windows 7. I also have a new usb LCD wand type keyboard light which I really like. The problem is, the usb port I plugged the cord into won't go off in sleep mode so the light stays on. The recepticles on the front stay on also. Maybe it's always been like this but now I notice it?  My husband has these lights on his two older Dells [Vista & Windows 7] and they turn off fine in sleep.

Is there a setting I [he] can change for this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Linda

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 10:00

Hello Linda,

I really apologize for the delay in response. As per the update from the product research team, the system is working as per designed. The Inspiron 537s in not designed to turn off the USB ports/ devices when the system is in sleep mode.

Please write back to us if you have any further queries.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

June 24th, 2013 02:00

Hello Linda,

I would request you to disable USB Selective Suspend Settings:

• Open Power Options.
  • Click Change Plan Settings.  
  • Click Change Advanced Power Settings.  
  • Expand USB Setting.
  • Disable USB Selective Suspend Settings.

Also disable the Hybrid Sleep and check if that helps.

7 Posts

June 24th, 2013 18:00

That seemed like the remedy for a bit, but to no avail. Didn't help. My husband's E5150[?] Windows 7 settings for usb and hybrid are all still at default and his usb's do go off in sleep mode [what I am hoping for]. In BIOS this 537s has a S1 and S3 setting. Could changing that help?  I can't compare that to his because we can't find any "S" options in his E5150.

Thanks much,

Linda

P.S. In Hibernate mode, however, this 537s usb plugs DO turn off.

7 Posts

June 26th, 2013 05:00

Good Morning,

We did find the power management setting in the Bios of the 5150. It is the same; S1 & S3.  Both PCs default at S3 so we left them alone. We have totally mimic'd every setting in both operating systems [identical W7 SP1] of both PC's. Opened the properties of each root hub to make sure they are all set to "allow computer to turn off", compared each and every HID, usb input and composite device setting. One is a total clone of the other. The only difference is, the 5150 turns off ALL the usb plugs [which we want] and my 537s leaves them ALL turned on.

How odd, huh?

Thanks again,

Linda

7 Posts

June 26th, 2013 07:00

Me again,

We also flashed the BIOS at intel from A02 to the latest A03. Also checked for/installed the latest intel chipset. Of course neither helped.

I think it may be time to give up on this and start looking for a manual switch to put between the usb cord and the light.

Thank you,

Linda

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

June 26th, 2013 08:00

Hello Linda,

Please help me understand if you are connecting the USB devices to the front USB ports or the rear USB ports. In case you are using the front usb ports, try checking with the rear USB ports.

7 Posts

June 26th, 2013 12:00

Hi Allen,

The cord is plugged into one rear port. But we physically plugged it into all 4 rears and both fronts. They all :emotion-14: stay live.

Thank you,

Linda

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

June 28th, 2013 04:00

Hello Linda,

I would like to tell you that  I am writing to the product research team to check what exactly needs to be done. I would get back to you as soon as I get an update from them.

Thank you for co-operating with us.

7 Posts

June 28th, 2013 18:00

Hello Allen,

That is extremely helpful of you go the extra mile for us. Thank you soooo much.

Appreciatively,

Linda

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

June 30th, 2013 07:00

Hello Linda,

Thank you for your patience. I will get back to you as soon as I get an update from the product research team.

7 Posts

July 25th, 2013 08:00

Hi Allen,

Thank you so much for getting back to us and we appreciate your trying hard very much. We will just look around for a small manual micro switch to connect to the cable.

Take good care of yourself,

Linda

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 25th, 2013 11:00

Hello Linda,

Glad to be of help! Please write back to the forum if have any further queries.

No Events found!