Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2005 12:00

If Norton Ghost cannot see your hard drive (Dimension 8400)

This is for non raid machines which have only one hard drive.  It may work with other configurations but since I do not have access to these try this at your own risk!

I have recently found out, (In my machine), that if you boot to the Norton Ghost 9.0 CD with the BIOS setting as it came from the factory NG cannot see the hard drive.  Reboot the computer and press the F2 key to get into the BIOS. The Bios setting for SATA Operation will be on RAID Auto detect/AHCI. Change that to Combination and reboot into your Norton Ghost 9.0 CD.  You should now be able to see your Hard Drive.  I had my backup image on a separate partition.  I could navigate to this partition, select the boot partition backup and restore it successfully.  When the restore is complete, reboot into BIOS and set the SATA Operation settings back to its original setting.  (Or restore factory settings by pressing ALT-F while in the BIOS screen).  The system should boot to your restored partition without any problems.  At least this is what happened to me.

I checked the master boot record and found that in both cases of the above BIOS change, it always remained the same.  I seen in several messages that other authors blamed the MBR but in this case I am more inclined to blame bad BIOS software code then the MBR

623 Posts

June 6th, 2005 18:00

I seen in several messages that other authors blamed the MBR but in this case I am more inclined to blame bad BIOS software code then the MBR
Just goes to show how little those "other authors" know--the MBR is on the disk, but if you can't see the disk in the first place, how in the world can you blame the MBR?

Anyway, thanks for a good tip.  Since your tests suggest it's a bios idiosyncracy, it's probably not limited to just the Ghost CD.  It's a good tip to keep in mind if one runs into similar symptoms when booting from other CDs, floppy disks, DOS, linux, etc.

No Events found!