Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 23rd, 2004 14:00

Enter key not working

My enter key suddenly stops working, when rebooted it's working again but stops after a few minutes

7 Posts

February 25th, 2004 00:00

A lot of people seem to be having the same problem yet no one has posted a resolution yet.  I had the problem with the enter key and kept reading that it's the motherboard and all of the things else people thought was wrong.  I have found out that after re-installing Windows my enter key works just fine.  Now if this is the permenant fix is beyond me...but it holds my temper down a little knowing that I don't have to reboot every five minutes.  :-)

February 25th, 2004 12:00

Thank you for replying, I really apreciate it.

February 25th, 2004 23:00

I am glad someone else is having the same problem I am having. I have been without my enter key now for 2 weeks and noone seems to know the answer.  If anyone knows the answer, please pass on the message.

7 Posts

February 26th, 2004 00:00

The solution I found is posted above.  Again, I'm not sure that this is the long-term fix (because I just had this corrected).  But this was done through Dell Technical Support and they had never heard of the enter key problem.  Funny....

February 26th, 2004 17:00

I've recently ran into the same problem.  It's really annoying.  I'm not sure about reinstalling windows though because I don't want to lose any of my files that i have now...

7 Posts

February 26th, 2004 22:00

I can definately relate to having to re-install files and things.  It bites!  When I called Dell they acted like they have never heard of this problem.  That's shocking, when I see so many people on here having the same problem.  I wonder...have you tried calling Dell?  Maybe if they get enough calls about it then they'll post a recall or something to that nature.  I just wish they would find a permanant guaranteed fixed.  It would be nice...although my enter key is working nicely (for now).

Good luck to you all in trying to figure out what is wrong...hopefully nothing major...thank heavens for warranties!!!!

February 27th, 2004 01:00

I have contacted Dell Support center and they acted like they had never heard of it.  Is the only solution to reinstall Windows. I am not very technically savvy and would hate to mess up anything.  I know someone said Dell fixed it but how?  Do I need to call them back?  It is very irritating. Even when I reboot, the enter key doesn't work.

1 Message

March 8th, 2004 16:00

Did you solve the problem of ENTER key not working? 

If so... help! 

Mine is doing the same!

Many thanks

Barbara

March 8th, 2004 17:00

Yes I did, I reinstalled the operating system (Windows XP) and it's working again.

March 12th, 2004 00:00

Same problem here! I don't have time to re-install Windows as I have a 5 page paper that is due tomorrow and I need to get to typing it up! Any way to get around using the "Enter" key in Microsoft Word? In other programs I can just hit Control+Enter and it does the job, but not in Word...thanks!

7 Posts

March 12th, 2004 11:00

Try using CTRL + M.  This works in most programs...I'm not sure if it works in Word.  By the way all...I've re-installed windows and I'm still having the same problem!  So much for being happy about having a fixed computer. 

March 15th, 2004 10:00

can this just be some kind of worldwide latent virus that nobody knows about? i say this because when you reinstall your OS, then it goes away. If it came back again after doing that then wouldn't that mean that it IS something wrong with the motherboard?  mine has also stopped working but when i reboot it seems to work for a while but then the problem comes back again...

March 15th, 2004 10:00

holy smokes. Ctrl + M worked for me! i wasn't in Word either, just in this IE window. Can't say it won't come back again but that is way easier/faster than rebooting or reinstalling...thanks.

7 Posts

March 15th, 2004 11:00

I'm not too convinced that it is the motherboard going bad.  If that were the case there would be a lot more things going on.  But it could be. 

I'm also not sure that it's a virus...it is only affecting Dell computers.  I have my virus definitions up to date and they are not catching any virus in my computer. 

I've been calling Dell and now they are getting to the point they will hang up on me.  I'm under warrenty and they won't send someone out.  They keep telling me to try this, try that and this and that do not work!  I'm going to call them again today and demand them to send someone out to fix it.  They have no clue what is going on. 

March 16th, 2004 13:00

I have had the same problem with my Wireless keyboard/mouse Inpiron System.  In order for me to get the Enter Key to work again, I just have to close all programs, unplug my USB Wireless receiver and plug it back in.  Granted it is a pain, but at least you don't have to reboot or reinstall windows. 

Does this work for anyone else?  I have a feeling it has something to do with the USB interface.

No Events found!