Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 21st, 2015 15:00

Dell 531s power supply-no molex

Hello all, I recently purchased a HDD cooling fan for my 531s and when I went to install it I realized that the factory power supply does not have any molex power connectors. the connector on the cooler is a pass through molex with both male and female ends. The power supply has an unused floppy connector. Is there an adapter that will let me use that connector to power my cooler? Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

December 21st, 2015 16:00

You need a SATA (PSU)>Molex(fan) power adaptor to convert a 4-pin Molex into one SATA power connector

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

December 22nd, 2015 10:00

I managed to find a male SATA to 4 pin molex cable

That's exactly what I meant.

And if you ever want to add a second HDD, you can always get a SATA Y-splitter cable that splits one PSU SATA power cable into 2.

70 Posts

December 21st, 2015 18:00

Unfortunately this is not the correct connector. The connector that I am referring to is the small white 4 pin floppy drive power connector. This is not a SATA connector .

70 Posts

December 21st, 2015 19:00

A real quick follow up, The reply about using a SATA to molex got me thinking. I have an extra SATA hard drive connector for a second hard drive. I managed to find a male SATA to 4 pin molex cable from Newegg and it should be here sometime between now and the first of the year. Thank you so much for that suggestion.

No Events found!