Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2000 05:00

DXDiag

Hi!

I have DXDiag 7.0a and I was running through the Tabs and all were OK until I came to the Imput tab. There it showed problems with Registry entries and recommended reinstalling DXDiag, which I did after which it said No Problems, so I figured that was that. Now I see that the same Problem with Registry entries has returned and it once again recommends reinstalling DXDiag. My system seems to be running fine, but I just wondered if I should reinstall again or just forget about it?
I have a Dimension L600r w/ 128 megs of Ram. Any input would be appreaciated.....

Thanks,
Ron

Have a Good One.....

Ron

May 31st, 2000 07:00

Hi Ron,
If I am reading your post correctly, the Direct X Diagnostic tool is telling you to reinstall itself due to registry errors. The Diagnostic tool (DXDIAG.EXE) is contained in Direct X 7.0. The Direct X 7.0a which is avaliable at the Windows Update Site is a bug fix patch and does not contain the Diagnostic tool. To reinstall the tool, you can use System File Checker to extract it from the Win98SE CD if you are running SE. If you have the Win98 original CD then you will have to download and reinstall the Version 7.0 from Windows Download Site .
Remember it is critical that you turn off all running programs using Ctrl-Alt-Delete except Explorer & Systray before installing this software. You should also turn off your Screensaver during the download and install.
Steve

2.5K Posts

May 31st, 2000 07:00

Ron,

Have you been using Microsoft RegClean in between running DXDiag by any chance?

This is a known problem of DX7 or DX7a when using RegClean. Reinstalling DX7 will solve the problem every time.

"Logic is the beginning of wisdom."

D266 / I3200 / T450 / T500
Xircom PortStation USB Hub
Logitech QuickCam Pro USB/WingMan Force Feedback USB/WingMan Gamepad Extreme USB
Iomega ZIP100 USB/ZIP250 PCMCIA+USB
Wacom PenPartner USB
HP ScanJet 6200C USB

48 Posts

May 31st, 2000 14:00

Esquire,

Yes I have been using Reg Clean so I guess that's my problem. Do you recommend uninstalling Reg Clean? I don't know if it has ever benefitted me anyway, so maybe I will just dump it and reinstall DXDiag.

Thanks,

Have a Good One.....

Ron

48 Posts

May 31st, 2000 18:00

Steve,

Thanks for the info but I really needed to know the cause of the problem. The answer from Esquire was what I was looking for. I was running Reg Clean so I assume that was what was corrupting the Registry files for DXDiag. I dumped Reg Clean and reinstalled DX 7.0 including the 7.0a patch and that took care of the problem.

I appreciate your input and thanks again.

Have a Good One.....

Ron
No Events found!