Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2011 15:00

Computer Shut Off Randomly, Blinking Orange Light

My computer shut off randomly a few days ago, so I unplugged the power cord and let it cool for a couple hours. I plug it back in and it turns on. But it seems if I'm running too many programs it will shut off randomly. Well yesterday this happened but now its not turning back on. I cleaned out all the dust inside the computer too but no luck. I press the power button the it blinks orange. If I hold the power button in it stops, but obviously the computer doesn't turned on.

From what I understand from the dell website, there isn't enough power? One suggestion was to replace the battery? Is that the small, circle, silver, coin looking thing? Where would I go to buy this?

Any other suggestions? I have a lot of important files and would like to back it up on my external HD.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

MuggaMason

What is the computer model and the version of windows that's installed?

Bev.

11 Posts

Dell XPS 400 and was using Windows XP

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 11th, 2011 17:00

MuggaMason

A 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell is required, this can be purchased from a Radio Shack, WalMart, or most pharmacies.

Hint: Before replacing the CMOS battery, make a note of the system setup settings, as a reference.

The procedure for replacing the battery, are HERE

A blinking amber power button LED usually indicates an internal power issue, eg, a failing power supply.

Also, check the four Diagnostic Lights on the front panel.

The XPS 400 Diagnostic Codes and Troubleshooter, is HERE

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

MuggaMason

Try opening the case, remove and reinstall all the memory modules and see if this makes a difference.

Bev.

11 Posts

So buying a new battery probably won't solve anything?

11 Posts

I had to try multiple times but eventually some lights lit up on the numbers. I got the numbers 3 and 4 to light up which in the document says:

"Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred."

So does that mean I have to buy more memory to get it to work?

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

August 11th, 2011 18:00

And check to make sure all the fans are still working...

11 Posts

August 11th, 2011 20:00

Well it turned on shortly after my last post. But I can't even hear the fan(s?). Can a computer still run without a fan running? I don't even know if the fans are running thats how silent the computer is, but the computer is on.

So I shouldn't buy a new battery, it will be a waste of time?

Should I just take the memory out and just put it right back in?

Also I figured I should add this, when I push the button to turn it on all the lights kind of show up then go away and it blinks orange. While the power button is blinking orange no numbers are lighting up. For me to turn off the blinking I have to hold in the power button for 10 secs. While I'm doing this, numbers 2 and 3 will have light up a little bit but its an orange color. I had to try multiple times to push the button to get the 3 & 4 to show up and it turned on. But the fans are very low, if they are even running.

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

August 12th, 2011 10:00

Without the fans working properly, it could overheat and shut down unexpectedly. Look in Windows Event Viewer (under "System") for any error messages, such as "thermal event" which would suggest overheating.

You could try to boot up with the case open to see if the fans are turning.

Reseating the RAM and PCI cards is easy, and a battery is cheap ($2-$3) compared to a new power supply...

Ron

No Events found!