Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 14th, 2018 16:00

Throttle the bandwidth of replication possible?

I would like to throttle the bandwidth of my replication interface (in EMC DD VE) to only 50Mbps to conserve total bandwidth utilization on the network. Is this possible and if so, is there any documentation guiding the configuration steps involved?

Thank you for your time.

Jeff Tamietti

85 Posts

March 15th, 2018 07:00

Yes -

> replication throttle add [destination host | default] sched

Change the rate of network bandwidth used by replication. By default, network

bandwidth use is unlimited, meaning it continuously runs as fast as possible. If you set a

throttle, replication runs at the given rate until the next scheduled change, or until new

throttle command options force a change. Throttle is usually set at the source Data

Domain system, but can optionally be set at the destination. Role required: admin,

limited-admin.

To limit replication to 5 megabits per second for a destination Data Domain system

named ddr1-ny, starting on Tuesdays and Fridays, at 10:00 a.m., enter:

# replication throttle add destination ddr1-ny tue fri 2200 5Mbps

2 Posts

March 15th, 2018 13:00

Thank you very much rugby01.

However, my client has stated that since they are replicating to a "Cloud Tier", that their DD-VE is unable to throttle the bandwidth on their replication.

He also quotes from the DD Admin Guide : "The Cloud Tier feature may consume all available bandwidth in a shared WAN link, especially in a low bandwidth configuration (1 Gbps), and this may impact other  applications sharing the WAN link. If there are shared applications on the WAN, the use of QoS or other network limiting is recommended to avoid congestion and ensure consistent performance over time."

Thoughts?

85 Posts

March 16th, 2018 06:00

That is correct, you question was about replication and not specifically for CT. I would recommend the use of ECS internally to save money of cloud cost. If they have to go to the cloud, then you will need to setup QoS on the WAN switch.

No Events found!