This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2016 16:00

X51-R2, keeps crashing!

Hi,

I have an Alienware X51 R2 with the following specs;

Intel i7-4770 @ 3,4 GHz

Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 Ti OEM

16 GB RAM

Now for my problem. My computer continues to crash every so often. Sometimes it happens when i enter a game other times i get to play for some time before it crashes. The crashes seems to be primarily GPU based as the computer sometimes continues to run while the screen, and sometimes audio, stops. I do not get any kind of warning nor notification on why it happens. However sometimes when it crashes it is only the nvdia driver that crashes resulting in only the game closing, and not the entire pc. Anyone who has experienced anything of the like and have found a solution ?

I have updated my drivers via; Driver Booster 3, Windows Update, Dell.com, Geforce Experince - So my drivers should hopefully not be the problem.

I have used the dell.com and the SupportAssist App for "testing" my hardware however all test pass.

Best Regards.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 20th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

What type of cable are you using? If is an HDMI cable, remember that this computer has an integrated video card and a discrete video card (Nvidia). So the monitor should be connected to the HDMI located at the half bottom of the case.

Also check if all games are added to the white list, click here to see an article that explains how to do it. 

7 Posts

June 20th, 2016 18:00

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I used to use HDMI cable but as i tried to troubleshoot the problem myself i have switched to DP and it is connected to my graphics card.

After looking into the white list, it seems that the option to choose which graphic card to use is not an option in my Nvidia Control Panel as the sources states it should.NCP.png

As you can see in the photo, i only have 2 points where as sources states i should have 3 points (the choice of the GPU being the 3rd).

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 16:00

The second option in the picture says: High-performance Nvidia processor, that's the one.

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 17:00

I might have been unclear in my explaination. The image on the left is what it looks like on my pc, i found the picture on the right as a reference. (showing what options i do not have)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 24th, 2016 16:00

Please verify that the video card is being recognized in device manager.

7 Posts

June 25th, 2016 05:00

As such?

Alienware.PNG

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 27th, 2016 15:00

Update the video card to the latest version here.

Try running a video card stress test. Follow the steps below to do this.

• Open Support Assist
  • Click on the Checkup option
  • Click Run Custom Scan
  • Click on the Nvidia/AMD card
  • Select the Stress Test option

If you do not have Support Assist installed, click here for the download link. Let me know how high the GPU temperature goes in the stress test and the FPS. 

7 Posts

July 1st, 2016 13:00

The results for the stress test were:

Stress Test: GPU temp peak: 86 C  FPS: 213

Thread something Test: GPU temp peak: 86 C  FPS: 136

DX9-test: GPU temp peak: 86 C FPS: 77

December 29th, 2017 07:00

Was there a resolution to this? I am having a very similar issue with my Area 51 R2.

No Events found!