Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2015 14:00

X51 GPU Upgrades (Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 240W PSU, NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 R1 Model)

So, the time has come where I feel that I cannot play games to a high enough frame rate anymore and I feel an upgrade is required. However, I am aware that this may be quite a task due to the 240W PSU. If im honest... I was hoping to go for a card like the GTX 960. Something that will last me a few years while not being extremely dear. I do expect to play games at a graphics setting that looks nice while maintaining a good frame rate. I dont play extremely graphically demanding games however; the most demanding game I play is probably DayZ, and we all know that game is so demanding purely due to poor optimization.

While im definitely not a PC know-it-all, I know a fair bit about the internals of the system as a result of dismantling it and reassembling over the past few years, however I have one issue/question. In order to upgrade to one of these bigger cards, such as the 960, would I need to purchase a new PSU, such as the 330W unit? and if so, do I have to make any modifications internally, or is it as simple as just plugging in the 330W adapter? Would I even need to purchase this 330W unit, as the GT454 I currently have installed has a max required wattage of 105, whereas the 96 has a max required wattage of 120?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Answers are appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 28th, 2015 09:00

Hello Lambo12345,

We do not support the Nvidia GTX 960 card on this computer. It should fit properly but since we have not tested it with this system, we cannot confirm the power consumption required for it to function properly. Below are the available video card upgrades that we can support with the Alienware X51 R1 system.   

NVIDIA, GeForce GTX 645, 1GB

NVIDIA, GeForce GTX 660 1500MB

NVIDIA, GeForce GTX 745, 4GB

No Events found!