Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2015 09:00

Refresh rate of Alienware 15 display output?

Hi, I'm thinking of buying an Alienware 15 laptop.

What refresh rate is supported by the video output to external devices -- is it limited to 60hz or are higher refresh rates supported? (asking because I'd like to use it with an Oculus Dk2).

I know that many notebooks with Optimus are constrained to 60hz, but I think some of the earlier Alienware models supported 75hz (or more?) for external output, despite that. 

66 Posts

January 24th, 2015 23:00

DK2 has direct to rift option which doesn't use your monitor at all. Shouldn't make a difference what the refresh rate is. I can't tell any difference with mine at least and i've used it on a mac and a windows desktop w/ 60hz refresh.

2 Posts

January 25th, 2015 11:00

Many laptops apparently don't support >60hz refresh on their video output (i.e. even in Direct to Rift mode). For laptops with Optimus, this is often because Optimus uses the GPU to render but then makes the output go through the integrated Intel video, which caps out at 60hz. Google "dk2" and "optimus" and you'll see a ton of discussion on the topic.

I know that on some Alienware laptops, the video output bypasses the Intel video altogether and goes straight to the GPU, enabling 75hz or better. So my question is whether or not that's the case for the current Alienware models, like the 15.

8 Posts

January 26th, 2015 17:00

I have a alienware 17 with a gtx880m  I use the mini display port for my benq screen and it's running 144hz using the 880m card

No Events found!