Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2015 11:00

No access to Alienware 14 webcam

Hi all ~ I have an Alienware 14 with the built-in webcam. I have run Dell diagnostics and the webcam and mic are working and the drivers are up to date. The webcam shows up under the Control Panel : Hardware & Sound : Device Manager : Imaging Devices. 

HOWEVER, there is no way for me to access the webcam to make a video. I have tried downloading Dell Webcam Central about 3,482 times and it either says my service tag isn't valid or it just sits there with the little wheel spinning for eternity. My machine is, of course, off warranty at this point. I called Tech Support and they want to charge me to give me the secret of how to download the stupid software that should have come with the computer when I bought it a little over a year ago. I can access my account and the Alienware Computer shows up registered to me.

I'm running Windows 7, have gone to their website to download Dell Webcam Central 2.0 using IE as my browser like they said I must, and it just isn't going to happen.

Does anyone know how to get a copy of Dell Webcam Central 2.0 to actually download from the Dell website?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 24th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Click here to view a thread that provides the Webcam Central download link. It is not the 2.0 version, it is the 1.40.05 version but it should be the full version of the program.

August 24th, 2015 10:00

Hi ALIENWARE-RODRIGO, and thanks for taking time to help me. I had tried all of the options listed in that link, including calling Dell Tech Support, only to be told they would charge me for the information on how to install software that should have come with my computer. I politely declined their offer.

Instead, I downloaded Microsoft Movie Maker.

I then found out the mic didn't work and found ONE forum where someone said that the Realtek drivers/codecs needed to be updated. I did that on the My Dell site, and now I can make videos with audio. 

I hope maybe this info will help anyone else who is having trouble with their webcam or microphones.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 25th, 2015 08:00

Hello, 

Thank you for sharing this information with the Alienware Community. I'm glad you were able to fix the problem. 

No Events found!