Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2014 10:00

Install Alienware TactX Mouse software on Area 51 ALX

I read the post not to install software from the cd as it may do damage. I am using a Logitech G15 & the TactX mouse. Surprisingly the TactX keyboard software installed. When I try to install the AlienwareTactXMouseCI.exe I get a message saying I all ready have a newer version of the software installed. Then the installation is cancled. Cannot finish the install. The mouse is visible in Alien FX & I can change the color of the lights in the mouse no problem. Just cannot bring up or find the software to reassign the keystrokes to the buttons The mouse shows up in the devices and printers as the Alienware TactX Mouse. But its property's state it is an HID compliant mouse with a Microsoft driver. I tried to update the driver But it states I have the best driver installed. Again software program will not install. Very frustrating. Looking for a fix or work around to get the software installed. Any help is much appreciated Thanks.

1.8K Posts

April 15th, 2014 15:00

Hi!

Try installing this version of the driver. You can do a clean installation by removing the TactX Keyboard driver first before installing this version that has both the keyboard and mouse software. If it doesn't work, you can also check with the Resource DVD or application discs we sent with the computer.

Let me know how it goes!

6 Posts

April 15th, 2014 19:00

Hi Naomi, Thanks for taking the time to help. The version R238599.zip is the one I am trying to install. I uninstalled the TactX Keyboard program. Ran a registry & broken short cut repair, rebooted. Tried to install first the AlienwareTactXMouseCI64.exe, The same error comes up. It states there is "a newer version Alienware software on this system. Therefore, the installation will stop." I did a fresh install of the operating system & all Aleinware related software back on 07/10/13. I had just installed a new SSD. Alienware tech support downloaded & installed the software. Everything has been working great. But I never looked for the software to change the keystroke bindings until now. I am thinking the AWCC is a newer than 9/3/2009 the creation date of the TractX software & that is where the miss match is. I have the At the bottom of a very long MSIbd079 LOG the last line states this: Property(C): LocalizedString = Please uninstall Alienware 1.x before removing this version of SetPoint. I could send you a message with this LOG in it. But it is to long to put here. Thanks for your analytic prowess, Kevin

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 16th, 2014 08:00

What version of the Alienware Command Center is installed? The latest validated version for the Area 51 was 2.8.11.0 A03-00.

6 Posts

April 16th, 2014 10:00

Hi Chris, Version: 2.8.9.0 I click check for updates comes back no updates found. That in it self is strange since there seems to be 2 newer versions.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 16th, 2014 13:00

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=442CY

* Under "Fixes & Enhancements", it states -
- Added support for Area 51/Area 51-ALX, Aurora, Aurora-R2, Aurora-R3, Aurora-ALX
- Added dependency on .NET Framework 3.5 so AWCC install only if the core .NET 3.5 Framework is already installed

6 Posts

April 16th, 2014 15:00

Hi Chris .NET4.5.1 Framework is installed. Downloaded & installed AWCC 2.8.11.0,A03-00 with no hiccup's. Then tried to install TactXMS-x64 & The same error comes up. It states there is "a newer version Alienware software on this system. Therefore, the installation will stop." What newer version ? The AlienwareTactXMouseCI.exe program is not installed. Under programs Alienware there is no TactX Mouse or Keyboard. In Add & Remove Programs no TactX Mouse or Keyboard. So I can't figure what newer version Alienware software the installer is referring to. The TactX Mouse software I am trying to install is coming from R238599

1.8K Posts

April 21st, 2014 13:00

Try this:

1. Completely uninstall the Command Center 
  2. Remove the TactX Keyboard software
  3. Download and install the TactX Mouse and Keyboard software
  4. Re-install the Command Center

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 21st, 2014 15:00

I uninstalled the command center following the guide lines for the proper way to uninstall the AWCC. I then installed the version 1.10.39c. Which auto updated to 2.8.11,

Best not to use "auto update" feature.

For Area-51 on Win7-64 ... clean install AWCC v2.8.9.0 (last supported for this machine on this OS) or maybe v2.8.11.0 (not sure ... but it is v2.8.x so it might work also).

Just wanted to provide extra info ... back to Naomi now.

6 Posts

April 21st, 2014 15:00

Thanks Naomi, I will give it a shot. I uninstalled the command center following the guide lines for the proper way to uninstall the AWCC. I then installed the version 1.10.39c. Which auto updated to 2.8.11, It then installed the keyboard software installed, but not the mouse. When the CC was uninstalled I tried to install just the TX mouse 64 first & got the same error. Now I will try your way. Will update with the results. Thanks
No Events found!