Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2013 11:00

How to configure switchable graphics

Hi,

I just got my brand new M17x R4 yesterday, however i can't seem to configure my switchable graphics (i know very little about it).

The config:

Windows 8

AMD Radeon HD 7970

Intel HD graphics 4000

When i right click on desktop and click "Configure Switchable Graphics" option, i get the following notification:

"Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center"

The problem is, when i run any game, it gives me only option for Video, the Intel HD graphics option. In the device manager though, i can see both the graphics card listed.

How can i configure which apps/events use the AMD graphics card? Please let me know if i need to provide any additional info.

Thanks in advance!!

6 Posts

April 30th, 2013 14:00

Hi Natalia,

Thanks for responding. Fn+F7 completely switches to the AMD card. (All apps now run on AMD card. Device manager no longer shows Intel HD Graphics)

This is fine, but it is draining on the battery, no? I wanted to configure switchable graphics, so that games use AMD, while other applications use Intel. How can i configure that please?

835 Posts

April 30th, 2013 14:00

Hello rajata,

Welcome to the community.

Try pressing Fn+F7, if nothing comes up on the screen when you do, install the On-Screen Display driver and try again. 

If that doesn't work, try re installing the graphics driver following the steps in this article:

Alienware: Video Driver Clean Installation  

835 Posts

May 1st, 2013 16:00

That's how the AMD switchable graphics technology works, it's not like the Nvidia Optimus that does it automatically, with AMD, you have to enable it completely or disable it completely.

1 Message

July 10th, 2013 00:00

All you have to do is to upgrade the latest AMD Graphics drivers.....Just the istall the latest drivers from dell site......Your Issue will be fixed...

In advance if u want to chk your Graphics Adopter.......go to the device manager and chk the graphics adopters.......if both are installed i mean intel hd and amd adopters are installed......then thr is problem with catalyst app you installed ...reinstall it......

No Events found!