Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2012 23:00

How to Remove Motherboard to install CPU fan brackets?

Breaking the x51 down to the motherboard was extremely easy. However, Is the motherboard secured down with mounting tape? I unscrewed the 4 mobo screws and noticed it wasnt pulling up off the case, there was  a lot of resistance. I noticed there is some type of mesh foil around the back of the ports,i used my judgment and did not go any further and decided to come here for some input,  is the foil type mesh securing the motherboard in?

I ask this because I am/ was trying to install a noctua low profile CPU fan I have around from an old PC. I noticed the specs were right and it would fit in intel 115x board range which the x51 falls under if I am correct its an intel 1155 H61 , but i need to get under the motherboard to install the brackets for it. I recognize the fact that this isnt recommended but the alienware x51 is promoted as being fully upgradable and I also take note that the CPU fan is designed for maximum air flow out of the case. But I want to see how much can actually be done with this machine as do others. And I am fully aware that this may/will void my warrenty. All risks I am aware of and willing to take.  Also, I realize the GPU is promoted to mainly support 9 inch GPUs but i also saw some extra leg room before the riser card actually wont go any further, possibly to a 10.2 inch maybe? 

I already installed an intel 320 series ssd into it, so I am aware of how to open it up and put it back together again...Just this motherboard input would help out. 

So, can I please have an answer/ some more input on how to lift the motherboard up off the chasis to install the brackets and install this fan?...

Thanks....

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 15th, 2012 23:00

Stange there is no Service Manual for it yet.

See if the other side cover comes off. Many times the MB tray has a large square cut-out under the processor for just the purpose you need it for.

I did work on a SFF Dell once that you had to remove the MB tray with the MB still attached. Only then could you remove the MB from the tray.

I see in the other tread people are talking about re-attaching fans that came off. This is just a normal low-profile Intel fan right? You have to clean both and install thermal compound each time, right?

March 16th, 2012 00:00

im also seeing there are small circle sized holes on each corner of the case,  and im also seeing, 4 black plastic tabs, right on the front, looks like the plastic tabs latch into the mobo case itself securing the case to the frame.  I am also surpised there is no support manual.  I was also a little let down when I got mine and it didnt come with a manual. Seeing as how they market it to be upgradable I was thinking it would come with a manual. Especially for what I paid I have the i7 model..

March 16th, 2012 00:00

I am trying to install a Noctua NH-L12 , its a low profile Dual CPU fan, it has dual fans, the top one can be detached for extreme low profile set up. And I placed it in there and it fits, but i cant mount it until i get these brackets in under the mobo. It has brackets for intel 115x range boards so it seems to be completely reasonable it can be mounted in the x51.

I was actually thinking, if maybe what you said was the case.. If I would actually have to take off the other side of the case as well to get under the mobo... I didnt consider that option too much tho, and decided to come on here for a straight answer.  And yes I would need to clean off and apply thermal, which i still have some. Seems like its mounted in place underneath by mounting tape or something.

March 16th, 2012 12:00

I solved it, and I def do not recommend doing this... It wasnt easy at all, and i damaged my wireless lan wire in the process but i dont use it anyway. Let me just say wow...oh and FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!  alienware x51 noctua NH-L12 fan,  with intel ssd..

is,

March 16th, 2012 12:00

2.4K Posts

March 16th, 2012 17:00

Nice what happened to the wire? Can it be fixed?

March 16th, 2012 17:00

I actually severed the wlan wire seating the gpu back in. it was to late by the time I noticed why the gpu wasn't going in.   This fan was not an easy install.  I'm also seeing that if the optical drive is removed then I think its possible to fit 3 drives into it.  I'd have to take a closer look and I'm not 100% but I think 2 ssd drives could be mounted in the chassis of of the optical drive bay if its removed ...  its hard to inside but alienware managed to leave a few connections available around the board.   ... good luck to anyone who tries to install this noctua fan. remember you will have to take the mobo out to mount it.

2.4K Posts

March 16th, 2012 19:00

It should be easy to fix the wire and well worth it I would say. What are your temps and sound like?

March 16th, 2012 23:00

Heres a video I did,  temps at 100% cpu for about 4 hours didnt go over 27 cel, about 80 degrees...not to bad if I must say, playing every game I could toss at it at ultra...installed a 120 intell 320 series ssd...boots incredibly fast...A wonderful machine just breaking the tip of the iceberg with  what can be done to it...

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT__bKTnRTw]

182 Posts

March 24th, 2012 05:00

Wow very good job !

How is the noise  and temps compare to previous fan?

If im right the noctua low profile CPU fan noctua low profile CPU fan goes for 60 usd NO?

182 Posts

March 24th, 2012 06:00

CPU 100 percent full loaded and X51 with closed cover you say you got 27 degrees Celsius  =  80.6 degrees Fahrenheit on your CPU   if you are  right it sounds extremely low

No Events found!