Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

January 14th, 2017 11:00

Headphones only have sound coming from one side.

My R5 Aurora not getting sound from both sides of the headphones.  Seems to have happened after a windows 10 update. re-installed Realtek drivers. Did not fix. Headphones with a USB connection will work fine. Headphones with "stereo" jack do not work on one side. Tried different headphones with a stereo jack and neither work. Both of those headphones work on a different computer. Sounds like it would be the jack on the computer, but it does the same thing if you use front or back jack. Has anyone come across this problem? It appears that Windows is canceling the other channel. The sound settings show the balance to be the same on both sides. There is no way in windows or Alienware Audio to increase the sound on just one side. Thanks.  

1 Message

January 15th, 2017 10:00

Even if you reinstalled drivers, settings might have stayed the same as before, though I don't know which are those.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 16th, 2017 10:00

I suppose it's possible for it to be broken, but it would be rare. Yes, it's usually a good idea to get it working in back-ports first. If front panel is shorted or mis-wired, disconnect it temporarily in case it's holding a channel down (so back plugs will work again). At least you will know the motherboard is good.

Be sure you are NOT using a "single-jacked" headset from a phone with 4-bands. Since it has separate Speaker and Mic jacks, the speaker jack should only have 3-bands.

On my on-board Realtek, I can adjust Balance at Control Panel / Sound / Playback / Speakers / Properties / Levels / Balance

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 16th, 2017 11:00

Headphones with a USB connection will work fine.

To be expected since they use the tiny USB "sound card" built-into the headphone's USB plug.

4 Posts

January 17th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for all the replies. Seeing posts from different perspectives - is always helpful.  

I'm thinking it may be a Windows (software) thing since 1) The computer has been out of the box for about a week. 2) It worked fine before the last Windows update. 3) The head phones with the stereo jacks (that work on another computer) don't work on either front or back jacks of this one.  Or   1) The entire connection is broken internally (would explain why it's not working on either front or back jacks). the reason I think it's software is because had the same problem last week (after a windows update) but I was able to fix it by repairing an app that I installed earlier that connects my computer to a transceiver. I tried that again this time but didn't solve the problem. Again, everything is working fine with the USB headset. I didn't know there was a "sound card" in the USB connector of my USB headphones. Thanks Tesla 1856. That's interesting and may point to a conflict between Windows 10 and the Realtek on board audio (that I have always had some problems with - even with my 2011 R3 Alienware product). The Realtek software may not have the feature of raising and lowering the volume on one of the channels. Oh well. Like I said it's working good now with the USB headset. You are right about the single jacked headset.  They do not work with Realtek. I messed with my old computer for a week a couple of months ago before I went to a two jacked headphone and it worked perfectly.  :)    

No Events found!