Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2013 14:00

Alienware Aurora freezing issue w/Razer mouse & keyboard shutting down

I have an Alienware Aurora that I've had about a year and a half.  A couple months ago (just after the warranty expired of course), the computer started have screen freezes and when this happened, the Razer mouse and keyboard that I have hooked up to it would stop responding and the lights would turn off.  I got so frustrated with it, that I swapped to my laptop and I came back to the desktop today to see what I could do with it.  I opened it up and reseated the RAM, cleaned out any dust and changed the clock in the BIOS to get rid of the pesky beep that it had developed on startup.  I ran the PSA diagnostic and it came up with a memory fail somewhere during the test.  It didn't give me an error code, so I can't figure out what it is.  It was on this string: Testing 01_00000000h - 01_BFIFFFFFh (3058 MB) with 8 CPUs.  Not having any idea what that was, I reseated the RAM again and then ran the Windows 7 integrated diagnostic, a full one and it came up clean.  I also just ran the Dell diagnostic from the website and it came up clean.  I'm now updating drivers.  Since I reseated the RAM for a second time, it hasn't given me any issues yet, but it's only been about 45 minutes.  Anyone have any ideas on what this might be?  I'd rather not go through testing each stick of RAM individually if I don't have to.  

I spoke too soon....right after I wrote this, the screen froze and the keyboard and mouse shut off.  This happened as I was downloading driver updates from Dell.

Again...when I tried to reboot it, got a 4 beep error code and it shut itself down, it tried to reboot itself, same beeping, and it continued until I manually shut it down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 2nd, 2013 14:00

What processor is installed?

What "Release" version Aurora is it?

What is your ram config (number of slots, sticks installed, etc.)

Are all DIMMs exactly identical?

Test RAM with Memtest.com  ... docs results. Should be able to run 2 full/long passes with ZERO errors.

February 2nd, 2013 17:00

Hi...thanks for the response.  I'm pulling the info off of my Dell order because I can't get the comp to turn on.  Here it is:

Processor,I7-930,2.8,Bloomfield,ANW DT

Dual In-line Memory,Module,6G,3X2GB,1333,ANW DT - two of the sticks are the same and one is different.

I need to get to work on Monday to make the disc for the memtest and I was going to run that on Monday.  I think with the beep error, it's a RAM issue.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 3rd, 2013 14:00

- two of the sticks are the same and one is different.

How did that happen? Did you buy this new?

Sounds like you have original Aurora (aka Aurora R1) with Intel x58 chipset. See www.crucial.com but should be tri-channel, DDR3-1333.

RAM-Test-Disc only works if you can get to BIOS. Maybe try only one DIMM in Bank 0, Slot 1. 

February 3rd, 2013 17:00

I bought it in the Dell outlet.  I ended up  just pulling the stick of RAM that was different and left the other two 2MB sticks in that were the same brand and it now runs fine.  At least it has so far today.  I'm going to buy new RAM of the same brand and replace all of them so I know what I have.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 3rd, 2013 18:00

Well, if that's the plan you can stop here (because it's running). Small chance that slot is bad (not sure if you can test by leaving a different slot empty).

So, on a tri-channel system ... when you leave a slot empty ... the rest of that bank runs in single-channel mode.

And yes, better if all 3 DIMMs in a bank are all exactly the same (better to buy as a set) ... like you plan to do.

February 4th, 2013 07:00

I'm not sure about the testing either.  I'll have to do some research on that.  I'm ordering the new RAM today, so we'll see how that works out.  I want more than 4GB in it, so new it is.

Thanks for all of your help and input!

42 Posts

April 23rd, 2013 21:00

I have an Alienware Aurora R1, and I'm experiencing the same behavior. I'm using stock Alienware keyboard and mouse. This is frustrating as hell. I have a lot installed and invested on this machine.

Also experienced complete Windows 7 professional crash a few months back. Had to contact Dell/Alienware tech support, they guided me through re-imaging machine (cost like $250.00)

Now using System Mechanic Pro optimizer/anti-virus product, seems to keep things clean. However I'm still experiencing system freeze incidents regularly. <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> this machine.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 22:00

I bought it in the Dell outlet.  I ended up  just pulling the stick of RAM that was different and left the other two 2MB sticks in that were the same brand and it now runs fine.  At least it has so far today.  I'm going to buy new RAM of the same brand and replace all of them so I know what I have.  

Good troubleshooting.

Aurora R1 is x58 so tri-channel ram. That means set of 3. Running a bank with less than 3 drops it down to less channels (maybe down to 1) ... anyway, less through-put, less stress.

No Events found!