Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2015 09:00

Alienware 17 - No Signal - HDMI has to be unplugged and plugged back in

I may have an unusual question because I have searched vast and wide for the answer and have not see another person asking the same question.

I have the Alienware 17 laptop, it had windows 7 on it and just upgraded to windows 10. The problem was the same in 7, as it is now in 10, so I don't believe it is a windows issue. I have my laptop hooked to an 42" LG LCD TV, the minute I switch the input on the tv to my cable box or whatever, I lose the connection to the HDMI output on the laptop. When I try to switch the input of the TV back to the HDMI of the laptop, the TV shows a floating message of "No Signal", but it does show that there is something connected to that HDMI input, so it would seem it is getting enough signal to know something is connected and gives me a choice to switch to it from the cable box...

Now I have tested this with another laptop and with an HP laptop no matter how long I am watching cable, when I switch back to the laptops HDMI signal, the laptops desktop pops u and everything is working as it should...

What I have to do with the Alienware 17 for it to establish its signal, is unplug the HDMI cable and then plug it back in every time or restart the laptop. It's like the HDMI output on the Alienware 17 is going into hibernation, sleep or something like that and won't wake fully...

I would love to not have to get up walk five feet to the laptop and tv, unplug and plug in the HDMI cable every time I switch to the laptop. I worry over time what this consecutive repetition will cause in wear and tear on my HDMI output on the laptop. I am definitely putting a lot more stress on the  output because of this issue...

I have tried in vain to set everything in the advanced power settings but nothing there has had any affect on this issue. Is there any help for this problem?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 11th, 2015 12:00

Hi, 

Try flashing the latest Bios firmware. Click here for the download link. You could also updating your discrete video card driver with the latest version from their website (AMD/Nvidia).

September 13th, 2015 13:00

I bought the laptop secondhand and it has a bios admin password. Can I still upgrade the bios or do I need to reset the bios password first? The internal battery in these are hard to get to and its out of warranty. I believe from what I have read I would have to pay for the call to get the bios password reset by Alienware/Dell. Anyone know what the cost of that is? There are just times one needs to open the bios, lol...

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 14th, 2015 14:00

Hi, 

You could try clearing the CMOS battery but there is a chance this will not work and it will still ask for the password. For the price information on repairs, contact the Sales department. Click here for the contact numbers. 

No Events found!