Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2018 19:00

XPS 15 Laptop won't turn on.

Hello,

My laptop, only 4-5 months old, was sitting open on my desk, then my cat sat on the keyboard, some buttons got pressed then the screen shut off. I haven't been able to get it back on. When you press the power button, the light turns on for a few seconds, then it turns back off again.

Tried holding the power button, but the light stays on as long as you hold it, it doesn't flick off to let you start over. I also don't get any error flashes, no amber lights or anything. 

Any suggestions, I don't even know where to start!

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2018 02:00

EVERYONE WHO IS EXPERIENCING THIS ISSUE, IT MAY NOT BE YOUR MOTHERBOARD. THERE IS HOPE!!!

What I did to fix mine was:

1) Remove the bottom panel and disconnect the battery.
2) Hold down the power button for 20 second (excess power drain)
- This step alone didn't fix my issue so I continued to mess with things.
3) With battery disconnected, plug in AC adapter. Allow the laptop to set for a few seconds until the charging indication light stops changing.
4) Reconnect the battery. Again, allow the charging indication light to stop changing.
5) Now, begin to hold down the power button. While holding down the power button, with the AC adapter and battery still connected, disconnect the battery terminal. (I know this sounds crazy)
6) If nothing happens, repeat steps 3-5. I did this ~3 times and the fans began to spin, and the screen powered on. Works like new

Still not resolved? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647635016624.png

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 04:00

Hi kingsleigh,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not working after that Cat-tastrophe. (couldn't help myself)

Not sure what's going on there, could it be possible that there was some liquid introduced into the computer through the keyboard?  Unfortunately, since you're unable to view anything on the screen, it would be difficult to suggest performing a systems diagnostics.  It may be just a simple issue to resolve, so, it might be best to contact Tech Support for further troubleshooting and possible resolution.

January 23rd, 2018 11:00

I hate this situation, but man, do I love puns. 

I'll give tech support a call 

July 3rd, 2018 14:00

Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Worked on the first round for me.

Now, if you happen to read this, how, in god's name did you figure this out?

Brilliant.

1 Message

October 9th, 2018 16:00

Signed in just to give you kudos!! This worked like a charm!

2 Posts

December 31st, 2018 06:00

Didn't work. Last year the motherboard fried along with the harddrive. Dell tech replaced both (nightmare situation -- when everything that could go wrong at the worst possible time). The laptop has been off for 5 days. Pushed the power button and just got the power on light for approx. 8 seconds. Did it multiple times, found your video and did what you said. Nothing!

Any ideas? I called Dell tech support - short of paying hundreds of dollars there is nothing they will do for me despite all the horror stories I've had with this XPS.

1 Message

February 7th, 2019 08:00

The XPS 15 is a joke. I've had the exact same problem...TWICE. In spring 2018, the motherboard fried. I wasn't doing anything crazy or intensive. No gaming or editing. One day I went to turn it on, and it was dead. So I send it to Dell, they diagnose a dead motherboard and replace it, at MY cost. 7 months later? It's dead again. And Dell won't cover it.

1 Message

March 7th, 2019 15:00

1 Message

May 21st, 2019 03:00

Hey mate, signed up just to post this. JakeVR's comment gets my laptop booting, the only issue is as soon as I plug the battery back in, the laptop dies after a second :(

2 Posts

May 21st, 2019 14:00

The fear of paying for a new motherboard made me try some crazy things! Glad it worked for you too.

1 Message

August 6th, 2019 12:00

1. Hi good sir, I'm just wondering in  step 4 to reconnect the battery  did you mean reconnect with the ac still connected, will that cause electrocution? And what do you mean by disconnecting the battery terminal, where would that be exactly? Thanks in advance for the help and cheers mate!
No Events found!