Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2020 11:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 15 7590, touchpad does not respond sometimes

Hello, My touchpad does not respond sometimes. I have to press the touchpad as if I wanted to click to move the pointer. I have the impression that it does this to me especially when the PC heats up a bit. It's been a year since I have this laptop and the problem has been occurring more and more recently. This is getting really annoying because I have to plug in a mouse. Is this a known issue on this model?

1 Message

April 2nd, 2021 23:00

I received this from Dell Finland last week or so.

Workaround steps =

Open the Device Manager utility. You can right click on the start menu and select it from the menu that appears. Alternatively you can click on the start menu and type Device Manager to run a search for it.

Navigate down the list and expand System devices

Locate the Intel Serial IO I2C Host Controller - 9DE9

Right click on the entry and select Properties from the menu that appears

Navigate to the Power Management tab

Uncheck the mark from the box beside: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

Haven't seen the issue anymore after doing these steps. They also told that bios update is coming. So looks promising at the moment.

1 Message

September 23rd, 2020 15:00

Hello @NICOSS 0013 ,

I encounter the same issue. The only workaround I found is to to hibernate my computer and wake it up.

Did you found a solution so far ?

Best regards.

1 Message

October 25th, 2020 04:00

Same issue here on my XPS 7590. I have not found any fix yet, except rebooting. But if putting the computer to hybernation works, it's a lot more easy to live with than a complete reboot. It may be hard some times to save my work before rebooting.

At the same time, this should not be necessary in my opinion...

November 25th, 2020 18:00

Just to add my to the list, I have the same problem exactly as described by others here. When the touch pad stops responding to touch, I can press it as if clicking and hold it down to move the cursor as noted in the OP. Also, hibernating and waking fixes the issue as mentioned by others in this thread.

Has anyone called support about this issue? I'm worried that their solution will just be a series of the usual canned responses: check the drivers, run Dell Update, Windows Update, dism/sfc, reinstall Windows, etc.

3 Posts

November 28th, 2020 04:00

I have exactly the same issue. Mouse pointer moves only when you are pressing down and moving the finger. But this is not viable workaround since it is then selecting text when moving etc. Problem is solved with restart but appears again randomly.

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 22:00

Any update on this issue?  I have the same model and the same issue is arising for me.  I am able to put the computer to sleep and wake it up (as mentioned before) to temporarily fix the issue so I don't believe it is a hardware issue.  Dell, please fix this.

1 Message

December 8th, 2020 17:00

I have the same issue. I bought a brand new laptop a couple of months ago and now the problem appears more and more often. No updates from Dell at all? I have to put it to hibernate mode all the time

2 Posts

December 21st, 2020 08:00

Same here! Please let us know Dell

1 Message

January 3rd, 2021 13:00

I've exactly the same issue. I'm really close to starting a repair/replacement/refund process for something that seems like a software issue. The issue is easy to document by a video, so the reseller cannot really deny it.

1 Message

January 7th, 2021 13:00

I'm having, verbatim, the same exact issues, can't seem to find any solutions searching, is this even worth returning back to Dell for repair?

January 8th, 2021 07:00

It is only a temporary fix (current session) unfortunately. You can also just restart the machine but I find this helpful for times when I am in the middle of something and don't want to shut everything down.

I also have the same issue. While not a permenant fix, I can temporarily resolve the issue by deleting the HID-compliant touch pad device within Device Manager and then scanning for hardware changes to re-add it. I suspect this is a driver/software issue but it is very frustrating.

3 Posts

@pcuser2123 does this resolve it only temporarily for current session or permanently? In that case I find it easier to just restart the computer (or use the external mouse if handy) ... I hope DELL resolves this since it is really frustrating.

64 Posts

January 8th, 2021 09:00

I have the exact same issue with a 2-week old XPS-15 7590.  I feel it's very likely that it might get fixed with some sort of driver update.  I will try to get help through Dell.

3 Posts

January 18th, 2021 00:00

I have the same problem

As a workaround I have created a batch file with the following commands and placed a shortcut on the Desktop. However - it's still a per session workaround.

powershell -command "Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName '*touchpad*' | Disable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false"
powershell -command "Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName '*touchpad*' | Enable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false"

regards

Sragi

No Events found!