Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2021 07:00

XPS 13 9310 WiFi randomly shuts down (AX500-DBS)

Hello everyone,

I've had my XPS 13 9310 for a month now and since about two weeks my WiFi stops working in random moments. Sometimes it's after waking up from sleep, sometimes it's just randomly during use. The laptop has a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS card and it looks like the driver just stops working. The card starts working again when I shut down the system completely and turn it on again.

When the WiFi card is down, the Windows Device Manager shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10) (Operation Failed) The requested operation was unsuccessful.". The Event Viewer shows multiple errors around the time the WiFi goes down, e.g.

• The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.
  • The version number is incorrect for this driver.
  • Miniport Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS Wireless Network Adapter, {86c1bbda-57fc-4364-ad13-5fc9493cc130}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

This issue occurred for me on:

• Windows 10 Pro builds 2004 and 20H2
  • Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS driver version 1.0.0.1428 (from 2020-09-03, latest as of 2021-01-04)
  • BIOS version 1.1.4
  • All other drivers on latest versions.

I've been in contact with Dell support about this particular issue for 2 weeks now, but they haven't found a fix yet. What has been done so far:

Does anyone else have the problem (and hopefully a solution)?

16 Posts

April 27th, 2021 04:00

Yes, they are "modern standby" systems.  Virtually all new systems are. No one is misunderstanding anything.  It is impossible to see how a misunderstanding of how modern standby works could lead to a condition where the wifi adapter fails to initialize when a machine wakes up from sleep, modern or otherwise.

16 Posts

April 27th, 2021 04:00

Just give this a try; enter BIOS, under "Performance" disable "c-states" and see if the Wifi adapter will now reliably initialize.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 27th, 2021 08:00

@gando1 It is interesting you show a QCwlan driver.  If the Win 10 21H1 update doesn't go public this afternoon, I will put the Killer Wireless AX1650 back in my Dell system and see what it shows but I don't think it will show a QCwlan driver.

I was wondering if everyone bought their unit in the Business product site.  Possibly the -DBS means Dell Business Systems?  If so, the drivers used may be for specific functionality..

122 Posts

April 27th, 2021 09:00

Saltgrass - QCWlan drivers still working ok for me after 5.5 days no killer anywhere!!

Later on this week I am going to rebuild it with 20H2 and see if I can get a clean working installation(Bets can be taken!!)

122 Posts

April 27th, 2021 10:00

20210427_181350.jpg

122 Posts

Just taken the back off my laptop and looked at the wi-fi chip. It says

KILLER - AX500-DBS QualComm Technologies Inc

So QC drivers are good!!!!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

@gando1 I have always wondered about the black and white connection points.  It appears yours are backward but it might not really make a difference.  Although, if the black wire was "Main" for a specific reason, such as length, it might matter..

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

@gando1 OK, maybe there is no reason for me to test it then.  I wish I could find where I could purchase one for testing..

122 Posts

SaltGrass - white wire stretches virtually the full width of the computer then turns and runs for another 2"      Black wire is relatively short 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I just went online and searched for the AX500.  I was overjoyed to find some Bing images of the card...

But it is strange the images have the designation AX1650x, just like the one I have... 

I did finally look at the 32 GB version of the 9310 and it does indeed show the AX500 for Wi-Fi.  Could it be a typo, maybe, but I have download the AX500 drivers linked and I will install those first when I try my 1650 again..

I see Killer Wireless is not yet selling the AX1675 card which appears to be equivalent to the Intel AX210..

April 27th, 2021 12:00

dpaul9,

of course it happens with Hibernate! 

The same problem occurs (no network) after a long Hibernate or Sleep!

Thus, I don't understand how disabling sleep could help.

As stated, I disconnect before hibernating or sleeping, then manually reconnect after restart.  This always works for me.  Thus, I believe this is a race/startup/power issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 27th, 2021 13:00

@gando1 By using the number in your attachment (QCNFA524) I found more info about the device.  It was manufactured in Thailand and first released in late 2020..

The Pictures in the info showed the antenna connections the same as yours.

There were some discussions earlier in the thread regarding a Power Management tab for the card.  Most Modern Standby systems do not have that power management tab for the Wi-Fi adapter.

If someone wants to know the power states for the system, do a powercfg /a  in a command prompt.  It appears they have removed the option to turn off network connection during low power mode in Win 10.  You used to have a choice but maybe the newer systems can handle it better.

I hope it gets worked out soon..

63 Posts

April 27th, 2021 19:00

I've disabled c-states in BIOS and also completely uninstalled Killer software.   Been about a day so far, and so far so good.  I've noticed that going from Globe state to wifi connected state is much faster now.   Crossing fingers.

Also, I've noticed that disabling c-states in BIOS also puts the system into traditional hibernate under certain circumstances.  Note, I don't have hibernate as a power option.   I'm ok with that.

122 Posts

April 28th, 2021 05:00

After performing a powercfg /a my laptop says the following power states are available

Standby(S0 low power idle) Network Connected

Hibernate

Fast Startup

It continues by saying Standby S1,S2,S3 and Hybrid sleep are not supported or availalable

S0 is in this case low power idle or modern standby. See link for further info

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/145891-how-check-if-modern-standby-supported-windows-10-a.html

63 Posts

April 28th, 2021 05:00

gando1, same power options available on my system. Do you know how to enable hibernate as an option in the UI thought? Either from the Start/Shutdown options or in power plans?
No Events found!