Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 9th, 2020 09:00

Microphone cuts in and out when using Zoom - tech support unable to help. HELP

I bought my XPS13 last month for work which I will largely be doing over Zoom as I'm WFH for the forseeable. When I use Zoom other users can barely hear me, my voice is very quiet and cuts in and out throughout the call. 

I've checked the mic and it works fine, installed all the latest updates and drivers, and performed a hardware diagnostics check. I've spoken to Dell tech support and they can't help, and say if it's a software issue rather than a hardware issue my warranty is invalid. 

I spent a lot of money on this machine and can't currently use it for the main chunk of my work. I wanted to splash out on a top of the range laptop to avoid these kind of issues, I'm not good at tech-speak and when I search online it seems like a lot of Dell users are having the same problem but I have no idea how to fix it. Argh. Please somebody help me. 

1 Message

August 25th, 2021 07:00

This worked for me:  In Zoom, go to Settings--> Audio --> Advanced. Turn Signal processing by Windows audio device drivers to Off (Windows-Raw).

Audio.JPG

• 

16.9K Posts

February 1st, 2022 07:00

iam.pringles,

Reduce the microphone volume to 33% and then check by recording a sound clip. Also, all the conferencing Apps have their own microphone input controls please check the same as well. The microphone volume inversely affects the output.

• 

25.5K Posts

October 9th, 2020 10:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

November 26th, 2020 01:00

Hi,

Was this resolved as I have a user with the same issue? Can you let me know what was required?

Thanks

Neil

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2020 20:00

@MiaVision I'm also curious if this was resolved as I'm having the same problem as @NeilM-F4L and am pulling my hair out trying to fix it. 

December 18th, 2020 09:00

@MiaVision @WD1983 @NeilM-F4L I'm having the same issue as you all and have been for months. 
Using a DELL Latitude 5290 (2018 model, I think).

It doesn't seem to matter whether I use the laptop's internal microphone, or what type of port or headset I've used - I've been told my audio is cutting in and out.

This doesn't seem to happen in MS Teams for me, only in Zoom.
@DELL-Cares 

2 Posts

December 21st, 2020 10:00

@farmer_in_the_ It required a reboot of Windows for me.  Dell did reach out via PM after posting here, so I hope they're able to help you out with this.  My issues were only with the onboard microphone though and via the headphone jack.  USB microphones still worked for me.  

3 Posts

December 27th, 2020 11:00

Many posts are claimed to be solutions but they are not.  I got help from another companies' website, downloaded and installed Dell Realtek Driver 6.0.9.071.1  A10.  Now the microphone appears to remain connected instead of cutting out after a second or so of speech.  even an external microphone is not a solution.  When $1,000  laptops are shipped incapable of running Zoom and the  problem is not immediately fixed  this is a major credibility problem.  Especially so when Zoom runs fine on an  original  eight year old XPS13.  

• 

25.5K Posts

December 30th, 2020 05:00

Hi,

We are following up to check did you get a chance to perform the suggested steps. Feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance. 

January 13th, 2021 01:00

Having the exact same problem, can anyone give me a solution? @DELL-Cares 

January 13th, 2021 01:00

Did you get a solution? I am having the same problem 

Kaleidoscope91_0-1610530869804.png

2 Posts

January 19th, 2021 09:00

Same problem! Can someone help? @DELL-Cares 

2 Posts

January 19th, 2021 23:00

Hi -

I have the exact same problem in Zoom, not MS Teams (super frustrating!). It would be comforting to know that yours was sorted. You mentioned that it required a Windows reboot. What do you mean with that? Any advice?

1 Message

January 20th, 2021 12:00

I solved this same problem by uninstalling the Realtek audio driver. YMMV

2 Posts

January 20th, 2021 16:00

I had a user with the same problem.  Zoom cuts in and out both with a headset and with the Lattitude 3301's internal speaker.  However, MS Teams does not have this problem.

I updated the Audio Realtek drivers, updated the BIOS, and updated the chipset drivers.  Not sure which one did the trick but one of those three fixed the problem.

No Events found!